General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 09:06 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions

BALTIMORE -- Baltimore City police arrested a Virginia couple over the weekend after they asked an officer for directions.

WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter David Collins said Joshua Kelly and Llara Brook, of Chantilly, Va., got lost leaving an Orioles game on Saturday. Collins reported a city officer arrested them for trespassing on a public street while they were asking for directions .

"In jail for eight hours -- sleeping on a concrete floor next to a toilet," Kelly said.

"It was a nightmare," Brook said. "I was in there thinking I was just dreaming and waiting to wake up."

Collins reported it was a nightmare ending to a nearly perfect day. He said the couple went to a company picnic and watched the Orioles beat Kansas City. It was their first trip to Camden Yards and asked two people for directions to Interstate 95 South when they left.

Collins said somehow they ended up in the Cherry Hill section of south Baltimore. Hopelessly lost, relief melted away concerns after they spotted a police vehicle.

"I said, 'Thank goodness, could you please get us to 95?" Kelly said.

"The first thing that she said to us was no -- you just ran that stop sign, pull over," Brook said. "It wasn't a big deal. We'll pay the stop sign violation, but can we have directions?"

"What she said was 'You found your own way in here, you can find your own way out.'" Kelly said.

Collins said the couple spotted another police vehicle and flagged that officer down for directions. But Officer Natalie Preston, a six-year veteran of the force, intervened.

"That really threw us for a loop when she stepped in between our cars," Kelly said. "(She) said my partner is not going to step in front of me and tell you directions if I'm not."

Collins reported the circumstances got worse. Kelly pulled 40 feet forward parking next to a curb and put his flashers on while Brook was on the phone to her father hoping he could help her with directions. Both her parents are police officers in the Harrisburg, Pa., area.

"(Brook's father) was in the middle of giving us directions when the officer screeched up behind us and got out of the car and asked me to step out. I obeyed," Kelly said. "I obeyed everything -- stepped out of the car, put my hands behind my back, and the next thing I know, I was getting arrested for trespassing."

"By this time, I was completely in tears," Brook said. "I said, 'Ma'am, you know, we just need your help. We are not trying to cause you any trouble. I'm not leaving him here.' What she did was walk over to my side of the car and said, 'Ok, we are taking you downtown, too.'"

Collins said the couple was released from jail without being charged with anything. Brook is now concerned the arrest may complicate a criminal background check she's going through in her job as a child care worker.

Collins said police left Kelly's car unlocked and the windows down at the impound lot. He reported a cell phone charger, pair of sunglasses and 20 CDs were stolen.

Baltimore City police said they are looking into the incident. <!--stopindex-->

Old 05-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like former officer Natalie Preston will soon be working at the local 7-11.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:31 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you trespass on a PUBLIC street?

Old 05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I smell a lawsuit, just by the way those comments were worded.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:42 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Sounds to me like they need to introduce those cops to the girl no one wants to meet. Her name is Sue. When they get sued it usually helps.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:04 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
This is a perfect example of why we men don't want to ask for directions...

Especially from a women..

Old 05-21-2006, 11:10 PM
OKMIC1
Elder User
Originally Posted by A_G
How can you trespass on a PUBLIC street?
Apparently you can't since they dropped the charges. This looks like a nuisance arrest. The couple get arrested just for not respecting the police officer's authority so they spend 8 hours in jail to learn their lesson. I hope the BPD can's her butt.

BTW, I think the cop was a public housing officer. If I understand it correctly their job is to keep the peace in the housing projects. They might have authority to kick people out of the area as part of an anti-drug dealing law, but that's just a guess.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:35 AM
93F250
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know there are 2 sides to every story but that is just ridiculous. False arrest? For what? I work in a small town so I can't appreciate what happens in the big cities but my word! That's out of hand! I smell lawsuit!

Old 05-22-2006, 08:39 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most likely it'll all get swept under the rug. I tend to be pretty cynical about things like this. Abuses like this absolutely disgust me, but it just keeps happening...

Last edited by TigerDan; 05-22-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
My car was not running so I had walked to work. I was picked up by a police officer in Virginia many years ago for carring a concelled weapon. Put me in the car, went before the local magistrate that same evening. Magistrate asked the office why he had stopped after passing me. The officer stated that he had seen the knife sticking out of my pocket, which it was. 12'" knife.

Magistrate proceeded to tell the officer that it was not a concelled weapon if it was in plain sight, gave him a tounge thrashing and made him drive me to work.

Loved it.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:04 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll bet that was an interesting ride to work...

Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ya !...So what did you guys talk about on that ride to work ?

Judging things or Judges ?

Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If the story is legitimate, I would suggest hiring any one of the lawyers that are beating down their door right now.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:05 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Ya !...So what did you guys talk about on that ride to work ?

Judging things or Judges ?
Not a thing. It was a very, very small town. Everyone knew each other.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 76supercab2
If the story is legitimate, I would suggest hiring any one of the lawyers that are beating down their door right now.
Probably not much lawyer bait .... they know who usually wins in a "he said, she said" situation.

Quick Reply: Couple Arrested For Asking For Directions