Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New again.............

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Ford Owner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New again.............

I used to be a member here a long time back and forgot my login info.

My question is...........
I recently bought a 95 Ford F-150 4 X 4 for 200 bucks.
Minus the engine. It had the 4.9 Y series inline 6 in it.

It has an auto trans and I need to find out what would be involved in putting a different Ford power plant under the hood.

I have been told by my Bro in law that I can get a 351 windsor since it is a smallblock, and I shouldn't have alot of issues with wiring and the computer.

Will I have to get a different trans to mate to the 351 ??
Will I just have to forget even getting this done ??
Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

I'd really like to get this done as cheaply and effortlessly as I can.
My bro in law has the tools and lifts needed for this.
I need the info so I can find the right engine. I want something other than the 4.9 so I can do more towing.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
If you want cheap and easy, drop another 300 in there. You won't have to change anything.

If you go with a V8, you'll need a new computer, wiring harness, motor mounts, radiator (outlet is on the wrong side) and probably a dozen other things. The tranny will bolt up fine whether you go with a 300, 302, or 351w.

From my own towing experience, the 300 tows just as well as a 351. A 302 is a step down from both.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Ford Owner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
If you want cheap and easy, drop another 300 in there. You won't have to change anything.

If you go with a V8, you'll need a new computer, wiring harness, motor mounts, radiator (outlet is on the wrong side) and probably a dozen other things. The tranny will bolt up fine whether you go with a 300, 302, or 351w.

From my own towing experience, the 300 tows just as well as a 351. A 302 is a step down from both.
I did a swap years ago from a 77 Buick V-6 to a 69 Olds rocket 350. I didn't have many problems other than the ignition system sometims cut out on me.
I did it in a weekend with the help from my cousin.

Does this sound like a weekend job or more extensive than the other swap I did years ago ??
I wanted to start on a project truck that I could later do more to.
I'd like to eventually have a 351m in it and do some lifting to the frame and body.
I had a 78 F-150 with the 351m in it when I was married the first time and loved the engine.
It had power to spare and if I kept my foot out of the tank, Got good mileage too.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:38 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Owner
Does this sound like a weekend job or more extensive than the other swap I did years ago ??
Tough to say. I did a motor swap about a year ago, and I thought it was going to take a weekend. Oh geez, the exhaust manifold is cracked. And it's a good time to replace that dying alternator. Oh, you pulled that brass tube out of the water pump? Better replace it just to be safe. Ah, that dang slave cylinder is leaking, better get that too while we're at it. And that flywheel doesn't look like it's going to like being resurfaced.

A month and a half later, I was done! I did 99% of the work myself.

Your mileage may vary.

Like I said, if you want easy and cheap, stick with the six.