rebuilding 460 engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:38 PM
shortbed1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilding 460 engine

Hi everyone need some help with parts for my 460. This truck is a weekend warrior going to the track once in a while. Right now i have a eldebrock air gap dove heads that have been massaged comp cams 284h cam kit basically stock bottom end and there is were i need help was interested in putting forged pistons and a good set of rods in this motor because i am wanting to shoot about 200 shot of nitrous on it any help on parts and part #s for pistons and rods would be a great help. Right now bore on engine is stock and came out of a 70 linc continental. Thanks in advance, chuck

Old 05-15-2006, 01:48 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
I ran my eagle H-beams to 900HP at 8,000 RPM's on a scat 9000 lightweight stroker series crank with a 4.3" stroke. I ran it a season, pulled the crank and rods and sold them with no problems. The Eagle rods with the upgraded bolts are very good and hold up to mondo power. Are you wanting a basic 460 lower end kit with rods/pistons/crank/rings/bearings? Or are you looking to use the stock crank and just do rods/pistons?

Old 05-15-2006, 02:35 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Just to help you see whats out there:
Scat and Eagle are in my opinion interchangable as far as quality. Both are relatively low cost and imported from over seas, but of high quality and reliability.
Scat Catalog in PDF:
http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/PDFs/Crank06.pdf

And Eagle can be found here:
http://www.eaglerod.com/

We carry the full line of Eagle and Scat, if I dont stock it I can get it shipped from them quickly.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:37 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah the eagle Hbeams with the upgraded rod bolts hold an amazing amount of power and force and frankly that is your current weak point. Mine is on it's second season with the eagles and JE pistons making around 900hp and shifting at 7200 with a 8000rpm limiter and no problems when I pulled them over the winter.
If your looking to do the whole thing I would suggest going with a stroker crank and upping hte displacement too. even if your just wanting a truck engine a 521cid engine can make some very serious torque.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:56 PM
shortbed1
Senior User
Hey fordtrkpuller and monsterbaby thanks for response. When i first wrote this today was just thinking about a rod and piston change but now after seeing what u guys wrote i might now be interested in stroker crank kit a friend told me that u can instal a 514 ? stroker without any grinding? is this true also. if so can u suggest 1 for me? or could i go to 521 with the same set up. Thanks for your help on this Chuck

Old 05-15-2006, 11:04 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

You can install a 545 cid kit without grinding, or if your block will take an .080 overbore go to 557. that is using a 4.5" stroke 545 is .030 overbore. But personally I like to see the 4.3" stroke used expecially in a street engine, or one your looking for some longevity out of. so 4.3" stroke, .030 overbore is 521.
Scat cranks are pretty good for the cast units, eagles aren't bad either. Not sure who actually has the new forged ones in stock at this time they are still a little hard to come by. Eagle rods are usually cheaper and every bit as good or some think even better than the scat rods. Or you could look in frdtrkpuller's sig and see a link, he is an FTE sponser and sells this stuff, I haven't looked at thier site much so can't give you much info but since they are a site sponser I can suggest them in anycase.

Edit, and no I am not associated with them.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:13 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Edit, and no I am not associated with them.
LOL....just have the same passions.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:30 PM
shortbed1
Senior User
460 build up

Hey guys back again well i decided to get the speed pro lw2602f pistons, e296k ring set,eagle sir6605fb rods, edelbrock air gap manifold and comp cams kit # xe284h with dove heads ported nicley on exhuast side. The piston states on the flyer that i will have approx 10.94 compression with 72 cc heads. Is this to much for street gas and if so what can i do about it. What do you think about this combo. Also will be running a compu car adjustable plate system 150-375hp. This truck also has a c6 with 3000 stall and a 30 posi rear with mickey thompson 29 15:50 15 rear tires. Thanks for any responce Chuck

Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
broncman
Senior User
Are those dished 15 cc or 22 ?(pistons). I am in the middle of a build as well and getting ready to buy my pistons and trying to work all that out as well. Nice sounding build. Keep us updated.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:12 PM
shortbed1
Senior User
pistons

Hey broncman these pistons are not dished they are flat tops with 1 valve relief they are also lightweight pistons. With the 72cc dove heads these are the only pistons i could find that were close to the original compression ratio. Which i believe to be 10.5 to 1. Thats why i was asking if i could lower the comp ratio with these pistons by some other means. Ck out my gallery to see the truck and the engine i just pulled out to rebuild. I have, since those pics were takin installed the tires sure did hook a lot better . Chuck

Last edited by shortbed1; 05-24-2006 at 09:18 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 05-25-2006, 12:37 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

10.94:1 is way to high to run on todays pump gas with iron heads, and would be marginal with alum heads, and not a chance of running nitrous at that compression ratio without running atleast 110 octane. Not a lot can be done to lower the compression that won't also reduce quench which you need to have to reduce detonation. You can leave the piston down into the bore about .010 and still have decent quench and reduce it some, then with proper tuning you might be able to run it on 93 octane premium (no garruentees there) but still you don't want to run nitrous at that without race gas in there.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:50 AM
broncman
Senior User
MonsterBaby ,, The setup I am building is similar but was considering the 15cc dished Kieth Black's with the 460 with dove c heads. Would this enable lower compression and still give you a decent quench? The dish is in the middle of the pistons near the open part of the chambers. the outer portion of the piston would remain in "quench" distance with the closed portion of the head.
Am I on track here or ???

Old 05-25-2006, 07:09 AM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Shortbed, I agree with Monster....11 to 1 is way high on supreme let alone any regular unleaded. Your in the turbo-blue area there. You can however have the pistons put in a mill and make them into dished pistons......that would buy you back some drive-ability with pump gas. I would like to see it at about 9.75 to maybe 10.25 CR myself, and you could get away with 87 octane if you keep a half decent quench distance. I have run iron heads at about 10:1 on regular unleaded with a proper setup without a problem. One of those engines was in my father in laws...cough....cough.....Chevy furniture van I took a 350 out and did a 10.1:1 383ci stroker for. It ran for a year (About 14K miles) on regular unleaded until the truck was crashed. I used to have a couple 466ci engines at the 10:1 area for street legal pulling...now I'm at about 14.8:1 and I miss the cheap fuel!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Dang at 14.8 your fuel is even more expensive than mine, unless your running methonal. I thought having to buy 112 octane was bad, and I am only running 13.5:1

Old 05-25-2006, 02:02 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
I just run VP C-14, nothing special....The good thing is that pump gas has almost caught up with my race fuel....lol. The price per gallon on VP went up less than a buck since last spring, we just got 2-30 gallon drums a couple weeks ago.

Quick Reply: rebuilding 460 engine