Console Amp Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 07:43 AM
naiku
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Console Amp Installation

Does anyone know if a small amplifier would fit inside the center console? If I open my console, to the left is this plastic thing that looks like it is meant to hold tapes/CD's and besides that is the CD changer. If I lift out the tape/CD holder I can see down into the console, is it possible to mount an amplifier in here? (will be a 4ch amp) I don't use the tape/CD holder for anything, and whilst I could mount an amp under the seats, I like the idea of having it neatly tucked away.

Depending on the amp design, I am hoping to have the cables run into the bottom of it, and with the console open and looking down onto the amp have the amp controls (gain etc) facing upwards for easy access. Would the amp get too hot down in there? would a 4 ch even fit? has anyone done this? I have not measured the dimensions of the console yet (it looks like I would have about 12" x 8" at a guess), but it is the one from between the seats on a 2000 Lariat. If anyone has done this can they post a picture?

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 AM
IPACA9
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jvc makes a small 2x65 amplifier I've tucked in spots a few times. A pair of them fit nicely behind body panels. I'm not a alpine retailer but when I managed Circuit City years ago we sold the smaler Alpine Flex series amplifiers. They were very thin and small amplifiers and should work for you. Your amp should stay fairly cool as long as you do it right. Don't starve it for power. Use a good ground, large power wiring and make sure you're running 4 ohms or more so you're not stressing the amp.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:47 PM
jbengfort
New User
jbengfort

Watch for heat, good ground connections. I just took a Sony system out of a 2004 SD 350 supercab and intended to put it in an 06 250 Lariat SD crewcab only to find: no speakers in the rear doors and NO room behind or under the seats. I too shall be exploring for places to put a 10 disc cd changer and amplifier--to the console!? Any comments from anyone else appreciated here also.

Last edited by jbengfort; 05-18-2006 at 02:48 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 AM
naiku
Mountain Pass
Ok I have been thinking about this (and am hoping to try and fit an Alpine MRP F450 in the console, and looking at the SPS-57C2 speakers all round, any opinions on these please let me know and so am looking at prices)

The one thing I am thinking could cause a problem is running the RCA and power cables to the amp. Since the amp would be in the center console, I would look to run cables down the center and into the console, is that asking for trouble? and likely to cause interferance with the cables close together like that? or should I take a bit more time and route the power cables down one side, and RCA down either the other side and then across into the center console?

Just have to persuade the wife to let me spend some money, still wish I could throw out the factory HU though.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:15 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Do it right, get the RCA cables as far from the power, ground, and remote turn on wires as possible.

RP
Zach

Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 AM
naiku
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
Do it right, get the RCA cables as far from the power, ground, and remote turn on wires as possible.
That's what I was thinking, do it right first time, and save hassle later.

One question though, since I am going to be using the factory HU I am not going to be using RCA's (looking for an amp with speaker level input) so can anyone tell me if using speaker level inputs are prone to the same problems (interferance) as using RCA cables when running alongside power/ground cables?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 PM
TP83
Senior User
here's what i would do: buy the new head unit for sure.the JVC G series has a small amp that will power the speakers and outputs, RCA, for the subs and if u want speakers. Im not having any trouble with sound when my RCA cables run along with my power and remote cable to the back of the cab under the rear seat.