1 year/1000 miles - change oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:08 AM
apropos
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 year/1000 miles?

I have 1 year or 1000 miles on Chevron Delo 400 in my 7.5L

Most of the time it sat with a few (trips)

I do take out once every 2-3 weeks. Should I change the oil?

Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
well yes!!!!! i would not go longer than one year. besides a oil chnage costs no more than 20.00.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:01 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
My MIL has her Neon's oil changed once a year & as she's a low speed, short trip driver, with trips rarely over 3 miles or over 35 mph & rarely over 1000 miles a year, it's definately severe service for her.

If your trips are really infrequent & not of long enough duation, or at highway speeds, to get the oil fully warmed up to evaporate all the condensation & keep the engine blown out good, then I'd sure want to change it every year.

As has been said the cost is a lot less than a new engine.

Guess you could cut costs some, by draining the filter & reusing it two, three, or four times, as it'll not likely get very dirty after only 1000 miles of use.

BUT reuse should depend on how much condensation you figure the oil is picking up, that the metals & materials in the filter are having to deal with.

If your using a inexpensive paper filter medium, I'd change it every year, or a $3 Motocraft filter, it's probably not worth the trouble to drain & reuse it, but if it's one of those $10 ones, then maybe so!!!!!

Just some more thoughts to ponder.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:38 PM
apropos
Senior User
The 7.5L engine has 50K miles on it.

I am using Chevron Delo 15/40 with the best filter I can find, an extended NAPA filter. Although at this particular time I am using Purolator Pure One.

All the trips are long enough to get warmed up, but in between it can seat for weeks. I try to take it out at least once a month.

I had a non-engine related failure due to all this moisture - enough gathered in the brake fluid that it corrupted not only the master cylinder/power booster but also calipers... moisture is an issue. I imagine there is some inside engine as well, that gets inside exhaust.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To be on the safe side, I would change it. Oil that sits, can absorb moisture. The when an engine is not run for a long time, will develop more moisture from combustion by-products during the warm up cycle. Really, it's a flip of a coin, as with 1,000 miles, the oil does not have any miles on it. However, I have always felt, if you have a doubt, change the oil and oil filter. Then you'll know for sure, all is okay.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:13 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mom's Dodge Ram Van camper conversion gets a change with Delo 400 every OTHER year, about 1000 miles total. The stuff still looks almost new at that. There is not going to be that much moisture condensation with a closed breather system. Delo, Rotella, Delvac, etc. have a very high TBN that will totally neutralize any acids.

Even BMW recommends every other year changes, using an approved synthetic, on cars that see low mileage.

Jim

Old 05-22-2006, 10:52 AM
CA55F100
Tuned
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
There is not going to be that much moisture condensation with a closed breather system.
Jim
That would depend on where you live. In sunny CA with low humidity (unless you are on the coast), there won't be much absorptoin of moisture. However, if you are in the South, East, or Midwest the humidity in the air will be absorbed in the oil.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Yes, it is right on the foggy coast. I have seen the results of moisture in poor breather systems with 1970's oils. It was like mayonnaise. There is no hint of this, or any other type of sludge in the PCV hose or valve.

Jim

Old 05-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
This ought to confuse a few of ya. I have a 1989 Lincoln LSC, 5.0 HIPO that is in new condition with 30,000 original, one owner, miles on it- yeah, it's a garage queen. I took an oil sample over the weekend and dropped by the lab this morning. Results were iron was the highest reading in any of my engines. But it was still in the 20 count range which most folks only wished theirs was that low. The last time I changed oil.........................July 2002. I wouldn't try that in Canada though. They have far more temperature change/ extremes than we see. We only have two seasons here- hot and HOTTER. FWIW, it's Chevron Supreme 5w-30.... imagine yer surprize! I will be changing it this next weekend just to keep the drain bolt from seizing and the filter from growing to the engine. Should be fun.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:46 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Thumbs up Flash, show the Lincoln Love = Frsh Chevron Sup.!

Wow! Flash, that is something else, July '02! Chevron Supreme is a great oil, no matter how you slice it. I am also using the 5w30 Chevron Supreme, API SM, and never have a problem with it.

Also, the suggestion to change the PCV valve is an important one, and here is another maintenance part, I recommend using factory Motorcraft pieces.

Would you beleive a neighbor down the street has a '86 Ranger, 2.9 V6, with original top and bottom radiator hoses @ 167K? Yikes! Truck is a typical NoCal rust-free work truck, sun faded paint on the hood and roof, sides are still shiny w/ door dings galore, but it's a Timex piece..."Keeps on tickin'..."

Flash, where are you located? City state? area///...?

Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
frdtruc1
Senior User
Every situation is a little different, so I'll ask my question as it relates to frequency of an oil change. I have 10,000 miles on new engine. Only put 1000-1200 mi on it every quarter. Thats a little over 70 mi per week. I have been changing the oil and filter every 3 months, no matter what. Is this too extreme?
1989 F150 xlt,300, 6cyl, 5sp 4wd

Old 06-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Extreme? Yes, but you are not doing any harm to your engine. All moving parts, are treated to clean, fresh oil. I'd rather have my OCI's at the "sooner" rather than "Later" interval. Also, I always like knowing the bottom part of my engine; the bearings, crankshaft, etc. is bathed in clean, golden, fresh oil, as compared to black, acid, , cooked, sludge/varnish oil, neglected OCI's w/ frequent cold short trips. My sister-in-laws' Buick Century, v6, for example!

Old 06-21-2006, 08:01 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Is it too extreem???? Well it depends on how those 70 miles per week are put on imo!!!!

If it's slow, short trip, stop & go, in a humid enviorment, then changing the oil & filter every quarter, is not what I'd call "exteem", as those kinds of operating conditions qualify as "severe service" & are, oil add pack killers!!!!!

If those 70 weekly miles are put on mostly at highway speeds, where the engine & oil warms up fully, then maybe it's a little "extreem", but it sure wont hurt anything but your wallet a little!!!! lol

Old 06-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Flash
This ought to confuse a few of ya. I have a 1989 Lincoln LSC, 5.0 HIPO that is in new condition with 30,000 original, one owner, miles on it- yeah, it's a garage queen. I took an oil sample over the weekend and dropped by the lab this morning. Results were iron was the highest reading in any of my engines. But it was still in the 20 count range which most folks only wished theirs was that low. The last time I changed oil.........................July 2002. I wouldn't try that in Canada though. They have far more temperature change/ extremes than we see. We only have two seasons here- hot and HOTTER. FWIW, it's Chevron Supreme 5w-30.... imagine yer surprize! I will be changing it this next weekend just to keep the drain bolt from seizing and the filter from growing to the engine. Should be fun.
I've got the same with a 1961 Galaxie, that was my aunt & uncle's. It is all original, inside and out, never been restored in any way. The spare tire has never been moved from the factory (blue coating still on the whitewall), and it only has 26K miles.....Here are a few pictures:

http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/gallery/1183593

Old 06-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Has anybody looked at Bobs pictures? A Magicaire heater as an option? The OPTIONAL 7.50x 14 tires. Wow! What a a thing of beauty Bob. And a whole 26,221 miles on it. Looks like you have yourself a real treasure there. Now that's what I call a brand new 1961 Galaxie.

Quick Reply: 1 year/1000 miles - change oil?