Primer Success !!! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:44 PM
fozzy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Primer Success !!! (Long)

Well, I finally laid down some NASON 2K Urethane primer today. That was the messiest, most nerve racking, yet Fun thing I have done. I have never used an auto spray gun before, so there had to be a fast learning curve. I spent 8 hours just masking off the truck. inside and out, then I etch primed, then I wiped off with grease/wax remover, then got ready to prime. mixed 4:1, poured in the cup, and got after it in the truck bed to get used to the gun.
The cheapo gun I have has an aluminum cup, but it leaked a couple of times when the cup was full. so the flat surfaces (truck bed floor, top of cab etc) had to be done when the cup was half full.
I was using a flat horizintal spray pattern because I didnt know how to adjust the pattern, but finally figured it out.
I used one gallon (plus reducer) and wasted about 8 oz of finished product because it set up in the container. Man t hat was fun, but my back is killing me. I spent so much time in getting the truck prepped that I started to doubt what I was in for. Now I am happy I spent the time, fixing dents, floor pans, stripping the interior etc.

I have a few questions now that I have the primer on:
1. How long can the truck stay outside with the Urethane Primer?
2. I wont sand untill I know I can shoot base coat soon after, so should I cover the truck with a truck tarp? I saw one on ebay for $50.00
3. Is this Urethane water proof?
4. Why do bugs like a nice finished surface? LOL They all came out to relax once the primer dried.
5. Are all paint cups (HVLP) standard size? I would like a more secure lid so there arent any leaks.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.