2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 F-150 Mods Compatible with Warranty & other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 PM
TOMKLU
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 F-150 Mods Compatible with Warranty & other Q's

What Simple mods can one make that won't void the warranty? I have a 4.6L, regular cab, flareside, 2wd.
Examples such as a chip, exhaust, etc...
The service girl did an "oasis" search and it has the engine listed as a 4.6 (romeo). What does "romeo" mean?
How do I find out if it has the "tow package"? It has the 4-pin connector on the bumper and a tranny cooler.
Also, it only has the speedo and four gauges. Can I install an instrument cluster with a tach? Is it plug-and-play?
And last question where can I find how many Regular cab, F-150, flaresides, were made in 2005?

Thanks for any help
Tom

Last edited by TOMKLU; 05-12-2006 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Found some answers on my own
Old 05-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Sean02SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by TOMKLU
What Simple mods can one make that won't void the warranty? I have a 4.6L, regular cab, flareside, 2wd.
Examples such as a chip, exhaust, etc...
The service girl did an "oasis" search and it has the engine listed as a 4.6 (romeo). What does "romeo" mean?
How do I find out if it has the "tow package"? It has the 4-pin connector on the bumper and a tranny cooler.
Also, it only has the speedo and four gauges. Can I install an instrument cluster with a tach? Is it plug-and-play?
And last question where can I find how many Regular cab, F-150, flaresides, were made in 2005?

Thanks for any help
Tom
I don't know about the chip, but the exhaust won't do anything to your warranty.

You do have the tow package and the rest I dunno, but someone will.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:41 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
To quote 96f150 from https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ight=warranty:

You are also protected under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. Whci basically states thatif a dealer can PROVE that the item the broke is due in part to your modification, then your S.O.L Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) .

The whole warranty issue is not "all or nothing." If you modify a particular part of your truck and then have problems with it, then the warranty will no longer cover that particular part ... once a dealer proves it was your fault. If you're scared to run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Sean02SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by GordoPanocho
To quote 96f150 from https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ight=warranty:

You are also protected under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. Whci basically states thatif a dealer can PROVE that the item the broke is due in part to your modification, then your S.O.L Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) .

The whole warranty issue is not "all or nothing." If you modify a particular part of your truck and then have problems with it, then the warranty will no longer cover that particular part ... once a dealer proves it was your fault. If you're scared to run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch.
I really doubt that many dealers would make an issue even if your mod did cause the problem simply because they want to sell you another new truck in three years or so. I'm sure it varies from dealer to dealer, however.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:31 AM
Sean02SD
Senior User
I would also like to add that I think that dealers "overlooking" mods likely ends at lifts, chips, etc. and rightfully so. I mean there's a big difference between adding a non-stock muffler and altering the suspension

I mean these are major modifications and I know that if I were a dealer I would do anything within my power to void a warranty under these circumstances. Why should the dealer/Ford be expected to pay for someone else' problem?

I simply don't understand lifting a new truck complete with a full warranty. There is absolutely nothing to gain from lifting and everything to lose.

What, exactly, does a lift even do other than make it hard to get into the truck? I am aware that it will allow the use of bigger tires, but, again, why would anyone want to put over-sized tires on a truck that was meant to run a specific size?

I hope someone can shed some light on what seems to be a strange, to say the least, modification. To risk the factory warranty over such a needless and expensive mod simply doesn't add up. Basically people pay good money to void their suspension warranty and then likely have lift-related problems.

Personally, I wouldn't allow someone to lift my truck and pay me to do it, let alone pay to have it done.

I guess it's a personal preference issue so to each his own. I would, however, be very interested to hear the reasoning behind lifting and its advantages and such.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:28 AM
4wdriver
Junior User
i was just told yesterday by a service tech at a dealer were a friend works that they hate warranty work.he said they dont pay to diagnose a problem,if it takes 3 hours to find thats without pay.if it then takes an hour and 1/2 to fix thay my pay 1/2 hour.he said without a doubt there looking for any reason not to fix under warranty.just what i heard.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:01 PM
FordTruckGuySTX
Senior User
Now as to the why would you wanna lift a truck and void the warranty and put something bigger on it....not meaning it the wrong way but dude 255/70s suck bigtime. but as stated i'm a Ford tech, we hate warranty b/c we are on flat rate...we dont get paid by the hour, a clutch job on a mustang may pay 8hrs cust. pay but if it warranty its like 2 hours or so, which i have experienced and loathe. i have to see both points since i am one of them but i also have warranty on my truck left which has seen modification.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Colt4Life
New User
Originally Posted by Sean02SD
I would also like to add that I think that dealers "overlooking" mods likely ends at lifts, chips, etc. and rightfully so. I mean there's a big difference between adding a non-stock muffler and altering the suspension

I mean these are major modifications and I know that if I were a dealer I would do anything within my power to void a warranty under these circumstances. Why should the dealer/Ford be expected to pay for someone else' problem?

I simply don't understand lifting a new truck complete with a full warranty. There is absolutely nothing to gain from lifting and everything to lose.

What, exactly, does a lift even do other than make it hard to get into the truck? I am aware that it will allow the use of bigger tires, but, again, why would anyone want to put over-sized tires on a truck that was meant to run a specific size?

I hope someone can shed some light on what seems to be a strange, to say the least, modification. To risk the factory warranty over such a needless and expensive mod simply doesn't add up. Basically people pay good money to void their suspension warranty and then likely have lift-related problems.

Personally, I wouldn't allow someone to lift my truck and pay me to do it, let alone pay to have it done.

I guess it's a personal preference issue so to each his own. I would, however, be very interested to hear the reasoning behind lifting and its advantages and such.
It is a to each his own modification that does have usefullness. A suspension lift increases the vehicles capacity to handle larger tires, which in turn is what provides the true increase in ground clearence. This enables the vehicle to clear obstacles and travel off pavement with greater success than the would be able to in stock form. Most suspension systems also increase the vehicles ability to flex and increases the amount of wheel travel. This aids in keeping the vehicle sitting more level when clearling obstacles i.e. rocks, stumps, rutted roads than again, the vehicle would be able to in stock form.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:32 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Romeo means the engine was bult in romeo Mich. engine plant. You can easily get away with a catback, headers (if they have all the hookups, like airtube). Don't use a chip, use a programer, if there is a problem, return setting to stock. Intakes can go either way, since they stick out like a sore thumb in the engine compartment. The most comon problem with an intake, is sometimes they throw a lean condition cell, either it wasn't installed properly, or the fuel needs to be richened by a programer.