1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

electrical

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Seifferlein
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-May-02 AT 09:25 PM (EST)]I havea 69 360. sometimes when I turn my key to the on position I will have no electrical power to the radio, whipers, or turn signals, but I can still turn the starter. So I take the key back out and put it in again and then I will have power. So I start the truck and I lose all of the power again. So I shut it off and continue to try to start it until I have it running with electrical power. I have replaced the alternator and starter but I had the problem even before I did that. any suggestions? Also could this problem effect whether or not my alternator is charging the battery?
thanks
brad

Old 05-07-2002, 08:44 PM
karlsd
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
electrical

Sounds like the ignition switch is bad. Replace it and your problems should be solved.

Old 05-07-2002, 09:35 PM
DAV1972
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
electrical

Mine does the same thing. I bought a new switch but havn't put it in yet.

Old 05-07-2002, 10:38 PM
OldFords
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical

I also think the ignition switch is the problem. I've taken several of them apart and found that the conductive lubricant has gotten hard and lost its conductivity. It actually acts as an insulator. I rarely find the contact buttons worn out; they're usually in good shape.

I clean the lubricant out, buff the contacts, and put it back together and use it. It will eventually wear out without the lubricant, but I have one that I did four years ago, and its hasn't given a bit of trouble.

The metal tangs (depressions in the switch housing on the back of the switch can be bent outward enough to remove the "innards" for cleaning. Just be careful not to bend them to the point they begin to crack. Be just as careful when bending them back in.

I also found one switch that was giving me a problem similiar to yours where one of the tangs had given way enough that the back of the switch (plastic section) was being pushed outward by the spring pressure. The switch would turn on the power, but the start function didn't work every time. I couldn't fix that one; not enough material left to crimp with.

If it turns out to not be the switch, please post what you did to fix it.

OldFords Bad attitudes

Old 05-08-2002, 12:28 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
electrical