Sponsored by: DP Tuner

5" duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:43 PM
terrapin88
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5" duals

I am 50/50 on either 4" duals or a 5 inch single. I want big bad sound and mucho whistle. My feng shui sense tells me to go with the 4"duals for asthetic balance, but I don't want to sacrafice a sweet rumbling 5" exhaust just for looks, but just one shiny tip hanging just doesn't seem right. It's a toss up.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Honestly for those who've heard both in person, is there any real difference between the sound of 4" duals or a 5" single? I know it's cool to be in the cannon club, but that aside can you hear a diff?

2. Does anyone make or sell 5"duals, not including stacks which are cool but not practical for me?

thanks!

Chris-

Old 05-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
I've heard plenty of 4 inch exhausts, and there is just no substitute for the sound of a 5 inch system.
It's such a deep throaty sound and turbo whistle from idle on up, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:51 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Its really just what YOU want (and your budget can handle) because a 4" strait pipe will rumble and whistle.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if they were both straight piped i dont think there will be much difference in sound but with both having a muffler the 5 inch sounds better. id go with duals because they look sweet

Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a 4" single. looking back, i wish i would have gotten the 4" duals. it is straight piped, and it has a 6"x24" tip (all hollow tip, no 4" inside) and sounds badass if i say so myself. i get tons of compliments on it per week. it turns heads. i wish someone made a 5" dual system, because i would have it. but soon enough, i am going to have 5" vertical duals.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:27 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Like everybody else I think mine sounds the best. 4" straight duals.....the value of that second tip goes well beyond asthetics. Go for the twice pipes and cut the muffler out....your ears will thank you for it.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
terrapin88
Mountain Pass
thanks guys. yeah, I should have mentioned it'll be staight piped whether it's 4" duals or 5" cannon. my state says I don't need no stinkin muffler so who am I to argue? Ahh, if only i could have 5"duals. How cool would that be. I bet i could find someplace that could make me some if the preice was reasonable.

Looks like I'll just keep flip flopping till I get to the point where I'll flip a coin.

On a side note I went to pick up some diesel kleen at auto zone tonight and decided to give somethng else a try. It's RedLine injector cleaner or diesel treatment. (I tossed the empty bottle and forgot exactly) but it's made by redline and the only diesel additive I found there by them. Anyway, I have run half a tank without an additive to see if it was louder and sure enough it was rattlin like a champ in the 1500-2000 range. I dumped this stuff into my remaining half tank and immediately the injectors quieted right down. It took the edge of the rattle I suppose. I might try another bottle at my next fillup.

Chris-