Sponsored by: DP Tuner

fuel filter plugged again...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:13 AM
fergysamsoil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel filter plugged again...

i've searched old threads... but one can only search a few hundred threads before becoming weary...

every time i replace my fuel filter, my truck runs like a raped ape... for about half a day... then settles down into its same old slow mode. when i have a new filter, it pulls hard through 3000 rpm, but otherwise, the truck will rev and run much more slowly on a non-brand new fuel filter.

i have put a bunch of iso heet into the tank, run lots of bio-con anti sludge stuff and regulary run amsoil diesel treatment when not using the others. all seem to help, but not solve my problem.

i'm assuming i have some kind of algae/sludge problem going on. do i need to drop the tank? if so, then how do i clean the tank out?

Old 05-10-2006, 02:30 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
biodiesel may help.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:31 AM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
Welcome to FTE!

Are the filters clogged when they come out? If so, what can you see on them? It would sound like your tank has a lot of crud-more than additives can handle. I have never cleaned mine but, I think dropping it will be the hardest part of the job.

Someone will be along to answer that question soon...

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
You need to drop the tank, the fuel pump, anything that can develope a potential clog and see what's up. Deal with any problem. It's frustrating to say the least, but it's something that has to be done if you want it fixed.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
You might have to replace the fuel pump as well. They don't have a very good track record.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:45 AM
fergysamsoil
New User
that's pretty much what i was afraid of. the filters look charcoal gray/black whenever i pull them out. dang that crummy arco pump diesel. i have started making biodiesel, but i have a feeling it will be lots of fuel filters before i ever get this problem sorted out. thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:49 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How old is your truck. Did you buy it new? Do you regularly keep the truck full not letting get below a quarter off a tank. Do you buy your fuel at the same place all thetime. Could be bad fuel.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:56 AM
fergysamsoil
New User
2000 f250 6spd 124k miles. 3.5" exhaust, old school banks ottomind chip (i think about 50 hp), gauges. this truck belonged to my dad (bought it new) before i bought it from him. i don't think it ever ran right...i'm not sure. i know that it sat on the dealer lot for a while before it was purchased... and before i bought it from him, it sat for a while. i know, i know... murder for a diesel tank that's probably half full.

but it sure runs good for half a day on that new fuel filter!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Stanadyne Fuel Treatment

Yes definitly drain the tank, new fuel filter and use a stanadyne fuel additive in the new fuel, you should be fine with that. BD-Power/Valley fuel Injection is a full fuel lab as well as a complete Diesel Performance Shop, contact me if you are in need of a rebuilt injection pump

Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by fergysamsoil
that's pretty much what i was afraid of. the filters look charcoal gray/black whenever i pull them out. dang that crummy arco pump diesel. i have started making biodiesel, but i have a feeling it will be lots of fuel filters before i ever get this problem sorted out. thanks guys.
Biodiesel has been known to be a solvent. It will dissolve your crud so you will keep having that issue for a while. Maybe you'd best drop the tank and wash it out clean. It would be cheaper than filters and maybe the pump.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:21 AM
hott-rodd
Elder User
When i got my truck it had a simular problem. My truck got so bad it would quit
and i would have to side on the side of the Hwy until it filter enough fuel to continue.

Finally dropped the tank and the filters in the mixing chamber were
full of a fungus type sludge. I did the in-tank and pre-tank mods.
Truck runs better than new.