Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cold Start Valve Removal and other Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 AM
bigslurrp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Start Valve Removal and other Mods

So I went over to a Diesel Performance shop near my house to see what they would charge me to install my new Wicked Wheel and 5" exhaust since I am running out of time before my Memorial Day weekend tow. I had a good chat with the owners and was picking their brain about the mods I am planning, namely the AIH, CCV and Kwik. For the sake of brevity I will summarize their conclusions:

CCV - The main problem with the oil in the intake is the air filter. If it can't get enough air through the filter it will suck out of the case which causes the oil all over the IC tubes. Their suggestion was to not do a ccv mod but definitely open up the air box with another filter system so it could properly breath. They also said the EPA is no longer letting Dodge vent their CC to atmoshpere as they have been doing in the past.

AIH - They said the AIH was not the problem, but the cold start valve was. They showed me a big butterfly valve on a peice of a turbo and said that it was the biggest culprit on blocking air in the intake system. They would remove the valve as well as the arm that controls it and plug the holes. If you didn't remove the actuator arm and plug the hole, it would leak oil. They said not all psd's have this valve, like trucks from California. They said this would be the biggest bang for my buck as a performance mod. I may still do the AIH.

WW - they said that one thing that I may not like, with the combination of WW and Kwik is some kind of noise caused by actually having too much air trying to get into the system and the turbo just can't pump as much as is available. He said it is hard to describe but likened it to the sound of a big rig's brakes hissing air when released, when my rig would be cruising down the freeway at 65-70 mph. He said it wouldn't be a problem just a noise that would maybe bug me.

They quoted me 4 hours for the turbo work and 2 hours for the exhaust. Removing the cold start valve, tapping and plugging the holes is something I really don't want to do. I think it would be money well spent. I rarely pay anyone to work on a car of mine.

What do you guys think of their take on these mods?