Notices

?Detailing An Engine, How to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
1975Ford
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?Detailing An Engine, How to?

What should be used to detail an engine, engine compartment, radiator, shroud, intake, etc. Looking for any suggestions.

What are the better cleaners, or solvents, or chemicals?
Which are safer on the engine? or
what must be done to make them safer?
I have seen car lot dealership engines, and the engine compartments are very clean and shiny. What do they use?

buck

Old 05-10-2006, 05:13 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some ideas...

First cover up any electrical components with plastic. Like the distributor, alternator, etc.

The work is easier if the engine is warm to the touch and or if you use hot water. Some places steam clean the engine, this is often what you see from a dealer.

A friend of mine has had good success with Simple Green undiluted. Spray or spread it all around greasy areas and let it sit. Scrub with a stiff brush and then rinse off, preferably with warm water.

If you have a pressure washer you might use it but be careful of spraying at high pressure too close to things like seams, gaskets, electrical components etc. A pressure washer can force water into plaes on an engine where it shouldn't so don't go wild.

There is also a spray on dressing that makes things look shiney after it is dried off. I think Armorall and others make it.

The solvent type cleaners like engine degreaser are good for cleaning really tough dirt, but they will brun your eyes and can irritate your skin.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
surewhynot
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a neat way to clean rubber under the hood ( radiator, heater hoses etc.) I put a little hand cleaner ( gojo or equivelent) on a rag and it cleans them right up. They look satin black and don't feel greasy. Not sure if it's good for the rubber or not, but I've been doing it for years without issues.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use "super clean" and a power washer

Old 05-11-2006, 11:48 AM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
I use spray on tire dressing after I clean the engine to get the hoses and other hard plastics to look shiny black and be protected. As for the dealerships, its a big brush with some concentrate cleaner, brush it on a warm engine, then spray down with the pressure washer from a short distance away, and VIOLA!!

Old 05-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Raptor
New User
All good suggestions. As for cleaning all of the grease, oil & gunk from the engine & accessories, I've had great luck with plain WD-40 (I buy it by the gallon) in a spray bottle.

Just warm the engine, wet everything in sight, then drive to your local quarter car wash so all the junk doesn't end up on your driveway

Old 05-15-2006, 05:01 PM
1975Ford
Postmaster
Thank you all for your good suggestions.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:59 AM
ALAN_50501
Senior User
I want to spray my engine and was wondering if there were any parts I need to cover. . Also is there any particular cleaner/degreaser I should use. Thanks for any help

should ido it in my own drive way or take it to car wash..the truck is 1997 ford f150 lariat with the 5.4

Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 AM
1975Ford
Postmaster
When washing a computer controlled engine, it better not to spray the engine whenthe engine is warm and not hot. If you wash the engine when it's hot, there is a possibility of cracking or warping engine components. Minimize jet nozzle spray on electrical components (sensors, alternator, coil wires, etc...,). Try the high pressure nozzle with the soap and then the rinse before using any cleaner or degreaser. Be very carefull of the jet nozzle spray, it can tear and rip into rubber and wires when in close proximity of the nozzle.

buck