6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Details on '08 model year diesel changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe those mileage regs apply to 3/4 ton vehicles

Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Originally Posted by wsuarez
They use a "regeneration" process to burn the soot by injecting fuel into the exhaust down pipe and igniting it. Apparently at 100K miles, and/or 5,000 hours, a dealer service will be required to remove the ash residue. Projected at $500 (at least).
What will injecting fuel into the exhaust and igniting it do the EGTs and the turbos.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:23 AM
wsuarez
New User
Originally Posted by Batgeek
What will injecting fuel into the exhaust and igniting it do the EGTs and the turbos.
The document I have states that EGT's will, in fact, go up for both the active and passive regeneration. There is enough concern that a PTO interlock will likely be added to ensure the passive system can't kick in while the PTO is engaged (assuming that an operator could well be in the vincinity of the tailpipe and exposed to dangerous temp's).

Old 05-09-2006, 11:11 AM
skuteman
Elder User
................This BS about having to pay ford for a Flame thrower douche at 50k or whatever milage figure just won't fly . Nobody will pay for some Idiot procedure like that . I think I'll just keep my 99 PSD cause it's going to become more desirable after these TT , '08 trucks arrive on the dealers lots . I'd much rather spend 10k and let ford\cummins drop a CTD in my 99 than to have to mess with all this ridiculous maintenance for an '08 , IF what has been postulated.....IS True !!! sk

Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this is all a fake and they're actually going to release those CGI in house products in the big trucks too.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:43 AM
captchas
easy guys untill the truck gets here there is very little true fact out. some true fact is series turbo charging, " not twin as many think". oil changes up to 10k intervals. fuel filter changes to 20k, piezo electric fuel injectors useing common rail.
go into ford doctors web site on the front page is a down load about some of the tech we will see. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/
for me if it is as good as my 2001 7.3 was i may think about the RUMORED 10k price of the motor.

and as to what we will be seeing. is a lot of changes in any motor gas or diesel in regards to emissions and abilitys to tamper with them. german companies are playing with storage tanks of a chemicle to clean the carbon amounts to all most 0 % needing a recharge at given mileage or hours. and lots of other things. the biggest we seem to be facing is making any thing so it no longer works or being able to remove something like a catconvertor all going out the window.

just for now why fuss over rumors.i for sure am not going to till i have hard cold facts in hand .

Old 05-15-2006, 05:48 AM
wsuarez
New User
Originally Posted by captchas
easy guys untill the truck gets here there is very little true fact out. some true fact is series turbo charging, " not twin as many think". oil changes up to 10k intervals. fuel filter changes to 20k, piezo electric fuel injectors useing common rail.
go into ford doctors web site on the front page is a down load about some of the tech we will see. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/
for me if it is as good as my 2001 7.3 was i may think about the RUMORED 10k price of the motor.

and as to what we will be seeing. is a lot of changes in any motor gas or diesel in regards to emissions and abilitys to tamper with them. german companies are playing with storage tanks of a chemicle to clean the carbon amounts to all most 0 % needing a recharge at given mileage or hours. and lots of other things. the biggest we seem to be facing is making any thing so it no longer works or being able to remove something like a catconvertor all going out the window.

just for now why fuss over rumors.i for sure am not going to till i have hard cold facts in hand .
Not sure where your getting the information about the oil change and fuel filter change intervals. The dealer who gave me the information I originally posted indicated those would remain the same.

You are correct of the turbo design, they are in a series. A smaller unit that spins up the larger unit "trailing" it. More boost effect at lower RPM's and further reduction in lag effects.

Bill

Old 05-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Craven
Senior User
Not sure where your getting the information about the oil change and fuel filter change intervals. The dealer who gave me the information I originally posted indicated those would remain the same.

You are correct of the turbo design, they are in a series. A smaller unit that spins up the larger unit "trailing" it. More boost effect at lower RPM's and further reduction in lag effects.

Bill
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/bulletins/2007psd.php

Old 05-15-2006, 07:49 AM
wsuarez
New User
This also quotes the 2006 model year oil change interval at 7,500 miles which contradicts the operating manual.

I've seen the presentation as well, lots of good data in it. However I'm also inclined to believe information I've been given face to face, more recently, as accurate as well.

I can't imagine ANY circumstances where I'd let a diesel engine go 10K between oil changes. I wouldn't do it on a gas motor either for that matter.

The fuel filter gets changed on my PSD at no more than 10K.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Craven
Senior User
This also quotes the 2006 model year oil change interval at 7,500 miles which contradicts the operating manual.

I've seen the presentation as well, lots of good data in it. However I'm also inclined to believe information I've been given face to face, more recently, as accurate as well.

I can't imagine ANY circumstances where I'd let a diesel engine go 10K between oil changes. I wouldn't do it on a gas motor either for that matter.

The fuel filter gets changed on my PSD at no more than 10K.
I think what they are saying is, since there is no high pressure oil pump to beat the oil to death and the engine has the same capacity, the oil will last longer. Big diesel trucks go a lot longer than 10,000mi between changes.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:24 PM
captchas
craven
thank you
for the man from mass. i will not get into any diesel disagreements with any one .will backup any one saying the 7.3 was great as it was . i have driven diesels more miles then most pick up drivers haveing driven east to west coast and back truck semi runs 3 times a month for 10 years when i was yonger. operated more different types of motors and worked on repairing more model motors then many of the younger users know about.

my own personal feeling is we have very little in true hard cold fact about the new motor other then what is on the sheets from ford doctors web site . why do people think all the rumors are true even if it comes from a trusted sales man. when it's near or does come out then we can say what is and is not.
as to oil changes many things are in the works to extend the times and miles. gm has right now a set up that will turn the service oil lamp on when the filter tells the pcm it's time."costly filter" only we don't have the new gm spec oil yet so it dosn't work yet. it's going to happen.

we will have full syntec specs in every thing, better filters, fuel and oil and more. all to extend the changes of them and help drive down dependence on abdul's oil. things are changing faster now then i personally have seen in my life time to date. and i have been getting greasie for 50 years. cars ,trucks, marine. aircraft. small engine.
diesels take the sulfer out of the oil and it stays cleaner longer or at least should help to. time to wait the true facts out.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Craven
Senior User
IH already has a 4.5L V6 engine with these attributes.
http://www.nav-international.com.br/...Idioma=2&Id=12

Old 05-15-2006, 02:27 PM
captchas
isn't that the one ford has in the lw cab over right now. specs sound close

Old 05-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Craven
Senior User
I don't know, but with fuel system and the turbos I thought it could be on the same line as the 6.4 we are hearing about.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:14 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you wanna find out something. Dont ask the dealers they are the last ones to know.Ive heard so much information about the new motor hearsay or what. Nothing is set in stone at all. My buddy at the Ford dealer told me this or a friend off mine works for Ford told me this blah,blah,blah. Just pure specualtion is all it is. When the truck is actually on the dealers lot then we will know. So anything I read or here I disregard. Ive went 10,000 miles on my PSD without an oil change. But I use oil anaysis to tell me whats going on with the oil. I changed it an it came back fine. Could have gone longer.

Quick Reply: Details on '08 model year diesel changes