New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hello Everybody

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 AM
roughford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello Everybody

I am new to this site. I own a 2001 expedition and I am now looking at an excursion to tow my travel trailer

Old 05-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FordTrucks.com! We are the Internet's Premiere Resource for all things Ford Truck and SUV related!

We are happy to have you! There is a ton of great info on this site. But, before you go snooping around there are a few things you need to do first.

1) Want to meet or talk to other members in your area? There are Provincial, State and International Chapters located near the bottom of the main forum page.

2) Before you post a thread asking a question be especially aware of where (what forum) to place it in. FTE is HUGE! Make sure you read the Read First: at the top of the forum before you go posting.

3) And finally you should review the Guidelines. They will kind of give you an idea of what is and isn't allowed on this site ("The Rules").

And that is it. I hope you enjoy the FTE "Experience"! This is a great place and we have lots of fun while exchanging valuable info. If you have any questions or problems do NOT hesitate to contact me. Just click my username then send me an email.

-Matt

Old 05-02-2006, 08:03 PM
rdct
Senior User
Hi, my first post was today also.

We have a 2000 V10 4x4 Excursion for about 4.5 yrs now. Our camper is about 35' with the tongue, 6800lbs empty & dry, around 8000lbs when we travel, 9600gvw, which is what our truck is rated for.

We have the standard 3.73 gears, which are not technically the towing gears. If your camper weighs less than our, the 3.73's will be fine and net you a bit better fuel economy when not towing. If you plan to tow more, then I suggest you find a unit with the optional 4.10 or 4.30's.

If you can find a diesel, that is your best bet. I wish I had have held out for a diesel.

We are very happy with our truck. I've had little time yet to look thru articles on this site but did catch a few of the little things that have caused minor issues on truck, so there are some similar weaknesses to be aware of when buying a used unit. re - both power door locks on the passenger side, suspension clunking sound under your feet at the 60+ thousand mile range, rear calipers not functioning from lack of maintenance, headlight switch **** on dash should have been replaced under recall, etc.

Watch for large heavy lug tires. Not good for towing stability. Truck is rather high on the suspension and tends to wobble more than our Suburban did. But the Ex is a stronger truck all around.

r

Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
roughford
New User
Thank you for your response. I did read a lot of the comments last night. I am not sure about the gearing. Funny you should mention the door locks. The dealership is suppose to look into that tomorrow. The door locks do not always work, seems they have a mind of their own. Also, I did hear like something was loose in the front end when I drove it today and yesterday. They are suppose to be checking that out tomorrow. The truck does have 128,000 mile on it. That kind of bothers me, but from what I have read if it is taken care of it should go more. I am really leaning toward buying the truck. Am I dreaming to think that I might get 7-10 mpg towing? Should I potentially stay away from this one?

My trailer is 6080 pounds unloaded. My expedition does pull it but seems to be struggling a little harder than what I would like. My wife would shoot me if something happened to it. She loves her expedition.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 PM
rdct
Senior User
I get 7mpg at 70mph with an 8000lb camper that is higher than most and catches major wind - 11' with the a/c. I get 8mpg at 55-60mph. You will undoubtedly get better. I'm going to try and drive slower this summer and see how much difference it makes.

If the unit doesn't have a bunch of broken trim and accessories and a mucked-up interior, it probably was looked after and just driven a lot.

Personally I would be cautious of buying a 4x4 with that much milage unless the seller can show you that it has been maintained thoroughly. If you can get it for a steal and do some maintenance yourself to prepare it to your comfort zone, then I'd say as long as it doesn't look like it was beaten in the bush and put away wet, go for it.

Look for replaced and maintained items like shocks, frame mount bushings, any hub maintenance, transfer case fluid maintenance, all steering components would have be to be replace by then for my comfort zone. Exhaust will also be expensive. I would take it to someone else for a good once-over or second opinion. Someone totally out of the picture is bound to find something or have some other knowledge that hasn't been uncovered yet. Basically, anything you are prepared to do is okay, surprises suck. Especially on a trip.

Oh, and check to see if the drive shaft has been replaced. We had a vibration develop at highway speed and it turned out to be a worn spline in the drive shaft at the tranny. we had extended warranty and it was covered with no problem but the dealer did say that it was something that Ford was aware of, so maybe there's some kind of service bulletin about the drive shaft spline wear. I've heard of guys turning theirs and remounting to try and see if the vibration goes away, and when it doesn't they figure it's not the shaft, but the play may have been missed.

Too bad you weren't in the market after this summer. We are going to put ours on the market then. We have about 67k on ours. And I am very particular. Only added trailer brakes and full interior wood trim - tastefully done and not gawky. I actually plan to put a sign on the truck and camper during our trip out to Wyoming in July. I don't think i can post pics here but i can send some private if you are or know someone who would be interested.

I think you will burn out your Expedition if you continue with it at it's max. Or you will be maintaining it more than you would an Excursion.

r

Old 05-03-2006, 06:08 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Please take all tech "talk" to the forums.

Thank you