1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

HELP **Motor Seized**

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 PM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP **Motor Seized**

I decided to start a new thread on this.. thanks to the guys that responded in my (grandpas gift) thread! ..

Well guys i put about 20 hrs in on the old truck this weekend.

First i polished the old paint up and it actualy shines a bit, took the old cattle guard off the front bumper, cleaned out the interior, oiled up the door handles, adjusted the doors, (open and close like a dream), got the headlights working, got the dash guage lights working, and the air vent on the hood working, got the clutch working. pretty much a nice cleanup overall. I dont know if the data tag was mis stamped but that truck was never sea haze green.. seafoam maybe.. but not sea haze.. the paint in the glovebox and the ashtray are very close to new and its not sea haze. Ill need to look into how often they were mis stamped cause im 99% sure it was. Now for the bad news.. I think the motor is seized up. I put some marvel mystery oil in all the plug holes.. let it sit for 24 hrs.. first i tried the starter button.. it engages but does not turn... every time i hit the button the flywheel moves about 1/8th of an inch.. its more of a tick.. but it always returnes to the orginal position.. then i got a breakover bar.. and tried turning it.. NO go.. plus the harmonic balancer bolt head is only like 3/4" and i dont want to twist it off. So then i got the clutch working and proceded to try the pull start routine.. just to get it to budge.. and when i drop the cluch.. back tires just slide.. (this is being pulled by another vehicle so cant do much more) .. any ideas on how to free it up? .. maybe let it sit with that oil all week? i dunno? May just have to get an overhaul? .. Ill attach some recent photos this week. Ill get some photos taken as i forgot my digital camera at my office over the weekend.

-Tanner

Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
go_racing84
Elder User
Did you put the oil in the cylinders and crank it with the plugs... out? If you put something that doesn't compress (oil, water, etc.), and then try to turn the motor with the plugs in, it'll just hydrolock the whole thing. If I were you, I'd take all the plugs out (keep your plug wires in order) and try turning it over like that. Hopefully, if you did hydro lock it, you didn't bend a connecting rod or anything.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:08 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fact it will turn 1/8" is a good sign it isn't totally siezed so there is still hope. I would drop the flywheel cover and get a pinch bar and keep turning it over till it is freed up. My Flathead sat for 15 years prior to my purchase and I managed to get it running thinking it was hopeless and it has turned out to be a good engine.

Good Luck
Rod 51F1

Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 PM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
I did all this with the plugs out... so no worries there.. forgot to mention that.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:35 PM
nixer
Senior User
put kroil in the cylinders and once it gets freed up change the oil

Old 05-02-2006, 07:45 PM
jgurland
Senior User
Tanner, I'm not sure 24 hours is enough. I'd let it sit for several days, and try it a little bit each day. I did that and mine broke free after a week. Don't be skimpy on the Mystery Oil.

P.S. It sounds like you're making some great progress overall. I'm sure I speak for many of us that we'd love to see some more pictures when you get your camera going.

Last edited by jgurland; 05-02-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
Pictures are posted under the grandpas gift thread!! .. I got pics of the starter and flywheel and the nice wreck i put on the harmonic balancer..

Old 05-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Boxcar2282
Junior User
I had to let mine set for nearly a week with the cylinders LOADED with MMO...Keep the faith and load her up....Good luck with her

Old 05-04-2006, 06:38 PM
propane32
Junior User
i wish you good luck i have soaked mine in mystery oil for 2 weeks pulled the intake and wet everything with m m oil still no luck guess i will pull the heads next and see what it looks like in there lol

Old 05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
DonMckay
Senior User
Well try the coca-cola I used it and it worked great. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=448714 Check out this thread and then try it
You will have to pull the heads after and make sure that you get everything cleaned out afterwards though.
Don

Old 05-05-2006, 01:08 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine free (Sat for 35+ years) by pulling the heads and intake. Filled the cylinders with MMO for an hour or so. This allowed me to see which cylinders held oil and which ones leaked. I then soaked up what was left, took a piece of wood and a hammer and started beating on the top of the pistons until it would move a little bit. Beat on each one five or six times then move to another one. Hit them hard, they will take the abuse, just no metal to metal hits.

It took about four hours before it finally came free and did a full revolution and it got "re-stuck a few times while I was working towards the fist full revolution but it did work and this was the fastest way I found t do it. Also, I used a lot of WD-40 on the cylinders once I got the pistons to move a little bit.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:43 PM
uc4me
Senior User
How crusty is the cooling system (water jacket, etc).
I had a Hudson pickup that ran great but was always hot. I opened the water jacket and it was very rusty and crappy.
I got this magic juice from http://safestrustremover.com poured it into the engine and let it sit for 24 hours, it removed every bit of rust and scale and left nice clean metal

Old 04-30-2011, 03:17 PM
prostreetdesigns
New User
Hey Tanner sorry to hear about your motor. If you want I have a 1954 inline 6 and manual trans out of my truck. Runs perfect its been sitting in my shop for about 9 months. Let me know.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by prostreetdesigns
Hey Tanner sorry to hear about your motor. If you want I have a 1954 inline 6 and manual trans out of my truck. Runs perfect its been sitting in my shop for about 9 months. Let me know.
Please use direct pm`s or private emails for offering items for sale tho you need a minimum of 25 posts.
USER GUIDELINES:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Discussion Forum Guidelines
6. Personal Items For Sale . For Sale items are not allowed in the automotive and general discussion forums of FTE. This includes placing ads or links to ads in your signature. We have a Classifieds section that you can list your items in. Want ads are allowed in the forums so long as you post a follow-up when you find the part(s). Vehicle value discussions are permitted, however, if we find it turning into a for sale thread, the thread will be removed. The only exception to this guideline is the Chapter Forums. There is a specific thread in each Chapter Forum, for Chapter Members only, that is intended for local for sale items.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
All in all you made alot of progress with the other things you got working and cleand up, youll get the motor done . Theres alot of anxyety connected to the projects, but just think how you will feel when that crank turns for the first time, yeah it makes it worth it. good luck (JIMMY)

Quick Reply: HELP **Motor Seized**