General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Law question (dog laws, self defense)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Law question (dog laws, self defense)

our neighbors dog has attacked my brother dog, and got to close and threatin to momma, they wont keep him on a leash and he crosses over all the time,
they let him out once i start walkint he dogs

do i have a right, without getin in trouble to kill that dog if he attacks again?

i need to know the laws on that, i live just outside of town..dont know if laws carry over for havin to have a leash....or how any of that works...

i know i can do it if he goes after me or one of us, but what about the dogs (that are right beside me when i walk em) btw they have never went in his yard,....their dog is all the time comin in ours and hes crossed the line by goin after mom...and we have told them to keep him on a leash....they just let him back out...just as i get out

Old 04-28-2006, 09:16 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the dog is attacking you, kill the dog.....If the dog is on your property attacking your pets, kill the dog.....If you are not to the above point, and your neighbor is letting the dog out on purpose to run wild---(is there a purposeful vendetta against you from the neighbor?.....letting the dogs out when you start to walk your dogs?......), the I would call the county animal control people on this guy (if it's a guy). They'll know the exact law for your specific county, city, or state, and they'll pick up their dogs if seen running around loose. Then the neighbor has the option of paying a fine to get them back, or ultimately having them destroyed......

All I know is if a loose, out-of-control ill-tempered animal is attacking one of MY pets...that is one dead animal......I'm positive that fits in with the universal common-law ethos of defending one's self or others or one's property from attack.....

Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM
okst1
Elder User
I would contact the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction for your community. A good Sheriff will go to your neighbor's house and let them know he has no problem with you shooting their dog if the dog enters your property or is attacking you or your dogs.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...15.htm#s174_01

Available from our Bookstore:
"Federal Wildlife Laws"
Edited by Professor David Favre (2004)
Wisconsin

State Sovereignty, Jurisdiction and Divisions. Chapter 1. Sovereignty and Jurisdiction of the State. Public Lands, Waters and Natural Resources. Chapter 29. Wild Animals and Plants. Subchapter III. Hunting, Trapping and Fishing Approvals. Public Lands, Waters and Natural Resources. Chapter 29. Wild Animals and Plants. Subchapter XIII. Enforcement. Police Regulations. Chapter 169. Captive Wildlife. Police Regulations. Chapter 174. Dogs.

Statute Details
Printable Version
Citation: WI ST 1.10; 29.184; 29.921; 29.927; 29.971; 169.20 - 36; 173.01 - 40; 174.001 - 15

Citation: W. S. A. 1.10; 29.184; 29.921; 29.927; 29.971; 169.20 - 36; 173.01 - 40; 174.001 - 15

Summary: These Wisconsin statutes comprise the state's dog laws. Among the provisions include dog licensing provisions, hunting laws impacting dogs, and seizure of dogs by humane officers.

Chapter 174. Dogs.

Definitions, Damage by Dogs, & Dogs at Large

Claims for Damage Done by Dogs & Use of Dogs for

Police Regulations. Chapter 174. Dogs.
174.01. Restraining action against dogs
(1) Killing a dog. (a) Except as provided in par. (b), a person may intentionally kill a dog only if a person is threatened with serious bodily harm by the dog and:
1. Other restraining actions were tried and failed; or
2. Immediate action is necessary.
(b) A person may intentionally kill a dog if a domestic animal that is owned or in the custody of the person is threatened with serious bodily harm by the dog and the dog is on property owned or controlled by the person and:
1. Other restraining actions were tried and failed; or
2. Immediate action is necessary.
(2) Inapplicable to officers, veterinarians and persons killing their own dog. This section does not apply to an officer acting in the lawful performance of his or her duties under s. 29.931 (2) (b), 95.21, 173.23 (1m)(c), (3) or (4) or 174.02 (3) , or to a veterinarian killing a dog in a proper and humane manner or to a person killing his or her own dog in a proper and humane manner.
(3) Liability and penalties. A person who violates this section:
(a) Is liable to the owner of the dog for double damages resulting from the killing;
(b) Is subject to the penalties provided under s. 174.15; and
(c) May be subject to prosecution, depending on the circumstances of the case, under s. 951.02.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...tm#definitions

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...174_001_15.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...+leash&spell=1

googled wisconsin laws on keeping dogs on a leash

Wisconsin Consolidated Dog Laws
Summary: These Wisconsin statutes comprise the state's dog laws. ... (a) Such dog is wearing a harness or a leash and special cape; and ...
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...174_001_15.htm - 159k - Cached - Similar pages

will that hold it if a problem rises?

Old 04-29-2006, 06:36 AM
TN-W124 Diesel
Elder User
I love dogs, but if one came on my property and attacked my dog or family, he would be toast...

Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Hillbillywagon
Senior User
You are covered under the law if it is attacking you, your family, or any of your animals. I went through this a few years ago on my farm. One of the neighbors dogs was chasing my cattle and I shot it. They tried to get me prosecuted and tried to sue me. I won on both counts.

However, your best bet is to get local law enforcement involved so there is a record of this happening, it will help to cover your back side in the future in the event that you have to kill the dog, and it might even avoid the possibility all together once the officer talks to the other party and informs them of the laws.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:34 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would contact the local law where you live.

Also Animal control where you live would be a good place. They might be able to take some enforcement action against the other person.

just my .02

Old 04-29-2006, 01:22 PM
nomadic
Senior User
All I can say on the dog issue is this....Out towns and cities were made for people...Not dogs....I frankly do not understand the fascination with dogs in these last days.....They dominate society....driving a vehicle with a dog in one arm, a cell phone in the other....how scary....I didn't used to feel this way, but I am beginning to hate dogs.....The dang things bark all night and if you complain about it, then you are a sorry individual.....sorry, but I don't even like the squirrels in my back yard anymore...even they are destructive.........Just my two cents.....Nomadic

Old 04-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Neb86
Senior User
I agree with all who said to contact law enforcement first. Once it is on record, you can protect yourself and your property as you see fit.

But, do it quickly and as humanely as possible. It's not the dog's fault it's owners are blankety-blanks!

Old 04-29-2006, 05:59 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Kill the dog if it does that again. There is no reason that you should put up with your or your pets being attacked by that animal.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:23 PM
ericsmith32
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hillbillywagon
You are covered under the law if it is attacking you, your family, or any of your animals. I went through this a few years ago on my farm. One of the neighbors dogs was chasing my cattle and I shot it. They tried to get me prosecuted and tried to sue me. I won on both counts.

However, your best bet is to get local law enforcement involved so there is a record of this happening, it will help to cover your back side in the future in the event that you have to kill the dog, and it might even avoid the possibility all together once the officer talks to the other party and informs them of the laws.
Same thing happened in our neighborhood. A neighbor shot our dog for supposedly chasing cattle. Whether he did or not that I don't know. But let's just say his dog(s) didn't live to long after that. We called a truce and let each know what the others dog is doing nowdays.

As far as the original question of this thread if dog ever attacked me by family or pets he would be dead without a thought. You have a right to protect yourself. All the dogs in my neighborhood are scared of me so unfornately I won't have that problem.. although that barking dog behind me is really testing my patience.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Neb86
Senior User
Originally Posted by ericsmith32
All the dogs in my neighborhood are scared of me so unfornately I won't have that problem..
HUH?

Old 04-30-2006, 12:04 AM
e1p1
Fleet Mechanic
Here's the deal where it might get screwy. It COULD be argued (though not by me, so calm down folks) that if you KNEW the other dog was a danger and you took your gun AND your dog out, knowing the other pooch would attack, and you shot it, some fancy pants lawyer could claim you were provoking the situation.

Hogwash, yes, but you know how things are these days. Call your local sherrif and be SURE you know what your rights are.

A local K-9 cop/trainer told me that a lit (duh) road flare would keep any dog at bay and also could be used to make a pit bull release; dogs are that scared of them. How about getting a camcorder and have one person film you leaving the house with your dog, and either you and another person carrying a road flare ready to ignite it if necessary, and film the neighbors dog coming on and attacking? Especially if you could catch them releasing the dog...maybe it'd be considered assault?

Old 04-30-2006, 02:55 AM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't take the law into your own hands -- you take them to court.

Old 04-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
Originally Posted by e1p1
Here's the deal where it might get screwy. It COULD be argued (though not by me, so calm down folks) that if you KNEW the other dog was a danger and you took your gun AND your dog out, knowing the other pooch would attack, and you shot it, some fancy pants lawyer could claim you were provoking the situation.

Hogwash, yes, but you know how things are these days. Call your local sherrif and be SURE you know what your rights are.

A local K-9 cop/trainer told me that a lit (duh) road flare would keep any dog at bay and also could be used to make a pit bull release; dogs are that scared of them. How about getting a camcorder and have one person film you leaving the house with your dog, and either you and another person carrying a road flare ready to ignite it if necessary, and film the neighbors dog coming on and attacking? Especially if you could catch them releasing the dog...maybe it'd be considered assault?
yah see thats the thing if thier out with their dog i take mine to the back so the dogs dont see each other but if im out with mine they let theirs out
which i could get them neighbors on spyin, and tresspassin 3 times
and they have steped over the line, next thing they do im callin the cops on em because it aint right

Quick Reply: Law question (dog laws, self defense)