Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Subford, Andym...Engine Computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Dusty Roads
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question For Subford, Andym...Engine Computer

Gentlemen,
I'm interested in getting a spare engine computer for the Blue Goose before they are really hard to get. ... '91 F150 Lariet Ext Cab, 4.9 L6,E4OD. 3.55 2WD.
So I saw a computer on EBay that matched my specs. except for a 5spd. and 4x4. Question is ... How close do the truck specs. need to match up with the computer in order for it to work properly?
Thanks, DR in Dallas

Old 04-27-2006, 04:30 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
You're way off.

You need a computer that will control both your straight six and your E4OD. The tranny is electronic and needs to be controlled by a computer.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the computer. It's rare for one to go out. It does happen, but not as much as people think. Most of the replacements are done by mechanics who can't troubleshoot well and just start replacing components at random hoping to fix the problem.

Your computer will probably outlast the truck.

But if you really want one, keep looking. You'll find one eventually.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:11 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Dusty Roads
Gentlemen,
I'm interested in getting a spare engine computer for the Blue Goose before they are really hard to get. ... '91 F150 Lariet Ext Cab, 4.9 L6,E4OD. 3.55 2WD.
So I saw a computer on EBay that matched my specs. except for a 5spd. and 4x4. Question is ... How close do the truck specs. need to match up with the computer in order for it to work properly?
Thanks, DR in Dallas
How sure are you that you have an E4OD Transmission?
The guide I am using does not indicate an electronic Transmission behind a 4.9L in 1991, I was thinking you may have an AOD. If so the computer may work for you but if you truly do have an E4OD then keep looking as andym said.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Dusty Roads
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AndyM,Subford ...

Thanks for the input ... The E4OD checks out on the door label and the gear selector display. Your point about the EEC needing to be configured to control the E4OD is certainly correct ... Good thing I didn't choose auto mechanics as a profession! You all are probably right about the computer lasting longer than I will ... But I'll keep looking for a correctly configured EEC.

You all always have good information on how to keep these old trucks running.
Best Regards, DR in Dallas