1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anybody have an auxillary fuel tank in the bed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:35 AM
rjwood5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the Transfer Flow 70 gallon inbed tank. It is pricey, but I don't regret the money. I can fill up at truck stops, it accepts the larger nozzle, and save about 30 cents a gallon, plus I can drive over 1500 miles before hassling the fuel stops. Saves lots of time and money. I will move this tank to my next PSD. This link shows the one I have. All I have to do is watch the odometer after 1200 miles to make sure I refuel in time.

http://www.transferflow.com/html/new...ry_system.html

Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
It would be worth looking into because some of the fines they hand out are pricey. If you can clearly show that the off road fuel is not being used in the truck you would be ok. I have been told that when running red dye fuel they can swab your tailpipe to tell if you have been running it. I bet the pumps sticking out above the bed will attract some more attention, I like my setup for that reason, it looks like a normal toolbox.

In addition to your concerns, I have also talked with a truck accessory shop that told me that you cannot carry more than 55-60 gallon in addition to you stock tank. He also told me that states like AZ are enforcing the use of aluminum fuel tanks, many ropers at rodeos have been asked to remove there large aluminum aux. fuel tanks on site! That is one reason I went with the 55 gal steel tank, I dont know if it is all true but maybe someone can shed a little light on this situation.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 AM
bentring
Mountain Pass
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
dagren99, you could just opt to get a refund on the taxes paid for standard diesel used off road.

Here is a link for Oregon. http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/FTG/MVFrefundforms.shtml

Old 04-26-2006, 07:31 AM
wolftan
Senior User
Does anyone know if a tank is made that will fit under a tool box? I'd hate to take up that much space in the bed....maybe adding an extra 30 or 40 gallons.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 832 Likes on 634 Posts
Originally Posted by wolftan
Does anyone know if a tank is made that will fit under a tool box? I'd hate to take up that much space in the bed....maybe adding an extra 30 or 40 gallons.
Check this link.

http://www.transferflow.com/html/toolbox_tanks_0.html

Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
............I originally bought it for my 1995 F-250.............
Kwik,

Did it sit flush with the top of the bed rails? I'd like to be able to stick a nice fiberglass bedcover on there too at some point without them interfering with one another.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 PM
rjwood5
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Kwikkordead,

Do you have the Trax-II system in yours? I have the Express-UFS and it is OK, but you have to watch the odometer pretty closely. It refills the OEM tank to 3/4 full when the OEM guage reaches 3/8 full, but does not let you know how much is in the Transfer Flow tank. This is fine, except if you happen to be in the back country about a 1/2 tank drive from a truck stop when you notice the OEM gauge is under 3/8!

I still agree that it is the best investment I have made on this pickup.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:54 PM
jmacr12
Junior User
I was lookng at the Undertool box from American Tank, its 30 Gal.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by John7894
Kwik,

Did it sit flush with the top of the bed rails? I'd like to be able to stick a nice fiberglass bedcover on there too at some point without them interfering with one another.
It was flush. Check the picture that I posted earlier in this thread. The main part of the tank was flush with the top of the bed. The filler neck stuck up from there as did the sender box in the middle.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by rjwood5
Kwikkordead,

Do you have the Trax-II system in yours? I have the Express-UFS and it is OK, but you have to watch the odometer pretty closely. It refills the OEM tank to 3/4 full when the OEM guage reaches 3/8 full, but does not let you know how much is in the Transfer Flow tank. This is fine, except if you happen to be in the back country about a 1/2 tank drive from a truck stop when you notice the OEM gauge is under 3/8!

I still agree that it is the best investment I have made on this pickup.
I have the Trax II and it displays how much is in the main tank, how much is in the Transfer-Flow tank, a total of the two, and whether the transfer pump is running or not. Pretty much everything that you would want to know. I look at it more than the fuel gauge in the dashboard.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:34 PM
hedhntr
Senior User
I built a 110 gal for my 02 and ran a farm pro pump I bought off ebay Im into the whole tank about 250 bucks and its a custom fit for the psd

Old 06-14-2006, 01:08 AM
YzRacer212
Junior User
I am looking into one of these for my new super duty so I can fill my bobcat. I don't need a large one and I like a large toolbox. I am thinking of a vertical one with a regular box behind it, but I don't want to take all my bedspace. I have an 8' bed but I like to put motorcycles in the back. My dream setup would hold 30 gal of diesel and 20 gal of gas and leave room for a toolbox. I am still searching........ On another note, how about pumps? I see the ones on Northern and they look ok, just a simple 12 job to pump fuel.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:00 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by YzRacer212
I am looking into one of these for my new super duty so I can fill my bobcat. I don't need a large one and I like a large toolbox. I am thinking of a vertical one with a regular box behind it, but I don't want to take all my bedspace. I have an 8' bed but I like to put motorcycles in the back. My dream setup would hold 30 gal of diesel and 20 gal of gas and leave room for a toolbox. I am still searching........ On another note, how about pumps? I see the ones on Northern and they look ok, just a simple 12 job to pump fuel.
What about getting a larger midship tank that holds more, and a small one for under the toolbox for gas? I don't know how much more the midship hold than the stock 38 gallon.

I wouln't mind building a tank/toolbox combo, only hickup I see is with DOT certifications. I don't know if you build it if it would fall under the same regulations. But then again, if they can't see it, probably wouldn't matter anyway.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 PM
jayco20002000
New User
I have a L shaped tank which holds about 60 gallons and fits under my tool box and is connected through a solinoid control valve to the fuel system. I like the fact that I can just flip a switch to change from main to aux. tank. You don't have to get your hands dirty with a fuel transfer nozzel or siphon. I had the tank made at a local welding shop which makes fuel tanks for boats and it cost me about $400.00 for the tank and about another $150.00 for hose and control valve. Labor was free because I did my own instillation. The tank works great and I can travil about 1000 miles towing or aboout 1600 miles just driveing with no load. Good Luck

Old 06-14-2006, 02:56 PM
YzRacer212
Junior User
Custom sounds good to me, but I don't want a strait tranfer to the truck because I need to fill a bobcat on the jobsite. Extra space for some race gas for motorcycles would be great. I may build a custom one or just settle for combo box/tank.

Quick Reply: Anybody have an auxillary fuel tank in the bed?