1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Found Sediment in bottom of fuel bowl....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Thumper4995
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found Sediment in bottom of fuel bowl....

Hi All,
I went to change my fuel filter today and when I drained the bowl and removed the filter, I found some sediment in the bottom of the bowl and on top of what looks like a heating element. Is there a good way to clean this out?

Thanks Craig

Old 04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Thumper4995
Hi All,
I went to change my fuel filter today and when I drained the bowl and removed the filter, I found some sediment in the bottom of the bowl and on top of what looks like a heating element. Is there a good way to clean this out?

Thanks Craig
I just removed the heating element and cleaned out with paper towels and nylon scrub brush.
Nut

Old 04-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Budkole
Senior User
Yup, what he said. I also fill the bowl with DK too.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:16 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Budkole
Yup, what he said. I also fill the bowl with DK too.
Bud,
I'm looking for more info but using too much DK might be harmful to the engine bearings. Reason is it dilutes the fuel too much and winds up in the crankcase from blowby and then washes away the protective oil coating somehow. This has apparently been discovered by UOA's. I quote another very knowledgeable gent from another forum who interprets UOA's for people:
"This how it works on the 6.0L. You have fuel dilution with a fuel additive in it. That additive is not designed for bearings. So it starts cleaning/wearing off the outer layer quicker. Some diesel Fuel additives can be worse than others. Stick with Diesel Treat 2000 that you are using or FP-60. Normally you will see an increase in copper and lead. Now the other thing that can cause that problem is turbo bearings. High lead and copper are solid indicators. Now these turbo bearings are also affected by fuel additives in the oil. My explanation stinks, but the jist of the problems caused by some fuel additives is solid. There are a couple of big name fuel additives that I will not put in my tank. In many instances, I can look at wear and tell if they are using one of about 5 additives. Not perfect, but very close. As always, I send my UOA to Dyson Analysis for his read to make sure on anything. Keeps me from getting ulcers"
Nut

Old 04-15-2006, 07:00 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also use some spray brake cleaner to flush it all out. Just open the water drain valve and spray away. Be sure it's completely dried out before you put the filter back in though.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Budkole
Senior User
Nut,

Thanks, thats good reading and good looking out!

Old 04-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Thumper4995
Senior User
Thanks for the input fellas. I just wanted to get a second opinion before I pulled out the heating element and went to scrubbin'.