e40d transmission pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:52 PM
austin834
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e40d transmission pump

I have a 1993 ford f-150 with a 302 4x4. My question is that my transmission started to POUR out tranny fluid out of the front by the pump and torque converter everytime the truck is running. I am currently rebuilding the transmission. I also even replaced the front seal on the pump. Well as soon as i started to rotate my transmission i could still see fluid coming out around the seal and behind it. that was the left over fluid from being still in the pump. would this be common for that to happen? Or do you think the bushing is out to? it looked fine and the only reason the fluid was coming out the front was due to the transmission welded a gear on the inside and the fluid got extremly hot. So im pretty sure its just the seal that would have went out. could i get an extra opinion on this?

Old 04-14-2006, 04:00 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The hub on the torque converter and the matching bushing in the pump must be smooth. The bushing in the aluminum pump housing will spin occasionally and the complete pump must be replaced along with the torque converter.