Quicky: Trac-Loc plate setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quicky: Trac-Loc plate setup?

That big Bellville washer (I think). . .which way does it face? "UP"(ends sitting up on the top of the pack) or "DOWN"(ends sitting down on the pack).

Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 AM
kennethl6
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which axle do you have? The 9.75" and 10.50" has the dished or concave side facing the carrier case, then the clearance shim, then fiber, steel fiber etc, ending with a steel next to the side gear. Most of the 10.25" axles have the spring on the side gear first dished side facing up, then a steel, fiber, steel etc. ending with a fiber next to the case.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Well how do! Didn't know you were from Virginia, I have a C6 rebuild dvd from you from a while back. . .pretty neat

Anywho, Trac-lok (Spelled it wrong in the title ) is dana? . . .this particular case is for my Dana 44 front end. I have it now with the ends facing "UP" so the the washer is compressing the pack from the ends. . .But then I'm thinking I might have done it backwards becuase the side gears are then compressed by the shims behind the spider gears.

I haven't been able to put the shims in yet, but its darn near impossible to rotate the case as it stands now, so maybe I did it right?

Thanks

Last edited by Franken-Truck; 04-08-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:52 AM
kennethl6
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Hi there Steve, hope the video helped you out. The Dana 44 is set up much like the Ford 10.25". With the side gear on the table lay the spring on it dished side facing up, then a steel, fiber, steel, fiber, steel, fiber, steel, fiber. I don't think the Dana's use any clearance shims like the Ford units.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Video was very informative! Of course that was a different project that never fell through

Alright! T-L went back together and the side gears compressed like there supposed to to get the spider gear shims in. Many thanks!

If you don't mind me hi-jacking my own thread, but have you ever seen a Dana 44 Trac-lok that doesn't have a lock pin, but rather has 2 "C" clips on the inside of the spider gears to hold the cross pin in?

I can take pics if needed. . .oh, and numbers as well. Theres a couple sets on it