Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Paricka78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I hope it isn't

Well Guys I a little problem

88 F150 302-fi 4-spd
Two part question I have an eratic oil pressure gauge haven't had the time to work on that problem by hooking it up to a mechanical o/press. gauge b/c I am working out of state right nowand only home on Saturdays. But my main concern about my truck. While I am driving I have good pressure on oil gauge first when I start driving and when I am going engine is warm 55-65 mph I hear a knocking or pinging sound I know it is not the lifters. What I am thinkng is it a bearing but which one I don't know. What is different on it is that any other gear no problem any speed besides the stated, no prob but I am at 2700-3200 rpm if that would be any help. In the mean time oil pressure gauge drops to zero and engine light comes on when I let off the gas oil pressure returns and knocking/pinging stopped but returns when I am maintaining speed or just barely pressing on the acceleratorSo any help would be great. Rember I might not get back immediatly b/c I am working out of town.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:26 PM
mhg
Fleet Mechanic
my 96 e250 has the same symtoms
the gauge prob. is low pressure and the switch
turns the dash gauge off and on at 7psi
hope someone can shed some light on the knocking
im afraid it needs new bearings in the bottom end

Old 04-15-2006, 02:46 PM
mhg
Fleet Mechanic
anyone have any ideas
rod or main bearingsor piston slap

Old 04-16-2006, 08:48 PM
theWeezL
Junior User
can you maybe describe the sound a little better...and can you tell if its coming from the engine bay or could it be coming from the transmission/driveshaft area?

I would rule out the oil pressure first by making sure you actually have oil pressure and not just a fulty guage. If you have a bad main bearing or two, that can cause low oil pressure or no oil pressure to the top end of the engine, and can also cause the sound you are hearing.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
first that stock gauge is a dumby light so best idea is to install a mechanical gauge so you know exactly what you have for oil pressure. also inspect your exhaust manifolds. they are prone to cracks and will make a similar noise. get the motor warmed up good before inspecting so the cracks are more noticable. also try a thicker weight oil. run some 20w-50 for instance and see if the sound goes away.