Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:22 PM
brepp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering pump

How hard is it to change a power steering pump? mine has a small leak in it and it wants to stop while i am turning the wheel while standing still (to turn at a stop sign or out a driveway). what is involved in doing it? I have an 89 7.3 international engine with the steering pump right underneath the air intake on the driver's side and it seems, in early observations, that the easiest route to take will be to just pull out the inner fender cover (just 2 or 3 screws to pull the cover off) and do it that way, but if anyone has an easier way to do it, im all ears.

Q: Why are Chevy's easier to work on than Fords?

A: They break down more often!!

Old 04-06-2006, 09:48 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First you need an alternator/power steering pulley... puller/replacer usually available on loan from parts store ie Azone.. Once you pull the pulley off then you should see the bolts holding the PS pump to the adapter. Remove the hose(s) and drain liquid into a container. Remove the pump. Reverse proceedure for installation.

NEVER try to pry the pulley off or hammer it on or you will destroy the core and the new PS pump.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you get a pulley puller and pusher tool and the job becomes relatively simple.

Some guys will use a bolt and nut as the pusher tool (usually supplied with the pump) It works but can be a real struggle, the last time I did a Ford pump I just broke down and spent $30.00 for the pusher tool. Best money I have spent.