Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Has anyone tried steaming parts in a smoker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 01:55 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-11-2002, 11:44 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know - it's a wild idea. But a dedicated "Smoke & Grill" for $29 with a soap solution in the water bowl could do a lot, seems to me.

(I know, there are bound to be a ton of "Barbequed Engine" comments coming, but what the hell...)

Comercial engine shops use a steam cleaner or a hot tank, is there a way to do this?

-Do ya think?

Old 05-11-2002, 07:19 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I din't know about a parts smoker but i have put motor parts (pistons,rods etc)in the dishwasher it worked pretty good only one problem the wife

Old 05-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, the dishwasher! Why didn't I think of that. Would have made cleaning all the parts for my engine before painting much easier. But, as thewiz427 said, dealing with the wife may have some serious involved. My fiancee already don't like that I bring parts in from the garage or that I rebuilt a carb on the dining room table, but she'll get used to it. I think the idea of "steaming" parts in a smoker could work.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:42 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

When you or a neighbor remove that old leaking dishwasher, don't throw it out, retire it to the garage! Who cares if it dribbles once in a while on the concrete floor. A friend of mine bought one at a garage sale for real cheap that he uses as a parts washer. It works real good. Transmission shops use a giant version to clean tranny cases.

Old 05-12-2002, 09:30 PM
GORSTEP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dish wsher sounds like a heck of an idea I wonder if my wife would get mad if the garage one before the kitchen .
I once washed the frame of my motor bike in the bath tub when I lived with mom and dad. Only scratched it a little bit, good thing it wasn't acrylic now the nice ones now a day's and I have been warned in advance that it won't happen in our new bathtub.

Old 05-13-2002, 01:38 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru

I have an old kitchen range that I use for boiling parts clean. It is in the garage and all I have to do is unplug the dryer and plug in my stove and we have power . I had never thought about steaming the parts, could do that in the oven by putting a pan on the bottom rack and filling it with water. Hey Wolf, Your on to something there;-)

dj

Old 05-13-2002, 01:46 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend

dj-

What do you use as the wash solution to boil the parts?

Old 05-13-2002, 02:09 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru

Usually I use Electasol dishwasher soap with lemon. It works really well (Plastic has a tendancy to warp) It is the fastest way I have found to clean a carb for rebuild (after dissasembling it) and it is cheaper than bying a bucket of carb dip. I got my stove for free from afriend that was doing a remodel and didn't want a brown stove anymore. All that cost me was for a dryer pigtail and a length of wire that I had left over from my welder when it quit.

any qestions e-mail me and Ill help you further with wiring it up but it is pretty self exp.

dj

Old 05-13-2002, 04:33 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend

"Land of the Free
Because of the Brave"

I like your sig! Great sentiment!

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|FTE Moderator]
over!

Old 05-13-2002, 05:05 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru

Thank you.

It fits with the feelings of this household.

dj and family

Old 05-13-2002, 06:31 AM
zukezake
Senior User

Oh hey, I totally agree with this approach 100%... This is what I do my self. I don't have a deciated unit, so I pretty much have to handwash parts by hand first, till they are not so oil soaked, then followed by a good pots and pans cycle. Even with a shared dish and parts washer, i've observed no residual sluge remaining for the dishes.

I have had one problem, with the 1966 ford f-250 chrome dash, the chrome came right off We are talking down to the plastic.

on the bright side, I used some chrome paint on the clean surface. Not as good as real chrome, but doesn't look like the rusty fading chiping chrome that was in the truck in the first place.

The plastic panels I use on normal wash without temp boost and without dryer heat. Anything metalic though gets pots and pans with drying heat on.

On the negative side, some parts tend to get rust after cleaning. Things like bolts, and nuts, even some obscure things like gas petal assemblies.

Realisticly speaking, if one would do use this technquie in a shop type enviroment, one would have to capture waste water and seperate out the oil, as is done at wash it your self car washes. Fortunatly water evaperates quicky, and you can drum up the slug for the regulated disposal.

>Usually I use Electasol dishwasher soap with lemon. It
>works really well (Plastic has a tendancy to warp) It is
>the fastest way I have found to clean a carb for rebuild
>(after dissasembling it) and it is cheaper than bying a
>bucket of carb dip. I got my stove for free from afriend
>that was doing a remodel and didn't want a brown stove
>anymore. All that cost me was for a dryer pigtail and a
>length of wire that I had left over from my welder when it
>quit.
>
>any qestions e-mail me and Ill help you further with wiring
>it up but it is pretty self exp.