Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Base hp on the 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 10:53 PM
SSGG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base hp on the 7.3

I have a 2001 Exc. 4X4 7.3 and have added a few goodies like an AFE stage 2 intake, Banks monster 4" with the power elbow, AIH plug, HPX and a superchips tuner. I was not seeing a difference between the top 2 settings so I decided to put it on a dyno. A local shop did 3 runs on the chassis dyno and the results were not astonishing to say the least. Now these numbers are Rear Wheel HP and are about 30% less than what usually get advertised.

Run 1 - Stock tune - 209HP (no tune at all)
Run 2 - Middle tune - 269HP (Perf Tow)
Run 3 - Top tune - 269 HP (Hi Perf)

Well my first question is if anyone knows the Base HP rating for my model year and/ or make? Engine HP or RWHP will do, just denote which is which.

My second question is if anyone else has had this problem with a Superchips tuner. I called SC to let them know and had to fax the dyno results to them so their tech team can review them. Whatever that means. I also called the place I bought it from ( same place I bought my Bank's tuner from and returned it to) and they were very willing to help. He even offered to send me an edge tuner to compare and an sct to compare and then I keep the one I like.

I realize that I probably have some issues that translate into the low stock HP # but will be remedying thay soon.

Wes

Old 03-28-2006, 11:09 PM
powerstroker27
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but i'm farely sure that your engine hp should be 250 if the x's followed suit with the trucks and if not then it should be 235hp.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:59 AM
DavidT.
Elder User
Originally Posted by powerstroker27
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but i'm farely sure that your engine hp should be 250 if the x's followed suit with the trucks and if not then it should be 235hp.
No his #s are about right for a stock motor, considering a 30% drivetrain loss. Remember, Ford's (And all manufacturer's for that matter) rates their power at the flywheel. Roughly 20-30% less than at the rearwheels depending on the setup.

But SSGG, was there a torque differences between the tunes or were they similar as well? Interesting. And the place you bought your SCT from must be super cool to let you try out the other tuner and keep the one you like. That would be awesome if every seller did that I say go for the Edge and see what the difference is, and if they have the Predator; dyno that one too. Only bad thing is you probably have to pay for the dyno time eh?

Last edited by DavidT.; 03-29-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:26 AM
SSGG
Senior User
Yeah, I would have topay for the extra dyno runs. Bummer, huh. I have the Superchips now, not the SCT but they would let me try the SCT with some custom tunes. That company has been real cool about trying new products.

The torque reads were only 1 ft/lb different (558 and 559 respectively, I think).

Wes

Old 03-29-2006, 08:34 AM
vancouverpower
Elder User
Originally Posted by SSGG
I have a 2001 Exc. 4X4 7.3 and have added a few goodies like an AFE stage 2 intake, Banks monster 4" with the power elbow, AIH plug, HPX and a superchips tuner. I was not seeing a difference between the top 2 settings so I decided to put it on a dyno. A local shop did 3 runs on the chassis dyno and the results were not astonishing to say the least. Now these numbers are Rear Wheel HP and are about 30% less than what usually get advertised.

Run 1 - Stock tune - 209HP (no tune at all)
Run 2 - Middle tune - 269HP (Perf Tow)
Run 3 - Top tune - 269 HP (Hi Perf)

Well my first question is if anyone knows the Base HP rating for my model year and/ or make? Engine HP or RWHP will do, just denote which is which.

My second question is if anyone else has had this problem with a Superchips tuner. I called SC to let them know and had to fax the dyno results to them so their tech team can review them. Whatever that means. I also called the place I bought it from ( same place I bought my Bank's tuner from and returned it to) and they were very willing to help. He even offered to send me an edge tuner to compare and an sct to compare and then I keep the one I like.

I realize that I probably have some issues that translate into the low stock HP # but will be remedying thay soon.

Wes
Just curious, what hp gain does superchips claim on the hi perf/top tune? 80 hp?

Old 03-29-2006, 02:37 PM
powerstroker27
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidT.
No his #s are about right for a stock motor, considering a 30% drivetrain loss. Remember, Ford's (And all manufacturer's for that matter) rates their power at the flywheel. Roughly 20-30% less than at the rearwheels depending on the setup.
What I said was "engine hp", meaning at the flywheel. I know that there is a 20-30% loss in power so I didn't want to make a claim on numbers I wasn't sure about.

The difference in stock flywheel hp I was talking about has to do with ford uping the hp for the '01 models. So if they stuck the new higher horse motor in the x then it would be 250 at the flywheel and if not then it would be 235 at the flywheel. This would give you an idea of what you should be making at the rear wheel.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
SSGG
Senior User
I think the Hi Perf tune for the superchips tuner is 110. Yes it is, I checked the site. so you are looking at roughly 75 - 80 HP at the rear wheels. (NOT what I was getting!!!)

Wes