6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

intake systems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 05:13 PM
ktplotts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake systems?

I'm looking at air intake systems for my 05 psd. A friend of mine was told by Banks tech group that your pretty much wasting your money by getting an intake. Is this true or do you actually see real gains, along with exhuast & programmer? Also, how much difference would going with the AFE stage I and stage II actually be with just a SCMT and turbo back? What other brand intakes are you guys running?

Thanks for the help,
-Kevin

Old 03-26-2006, 07:31 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
From what I have read, Ford spent a lot of money for Donaldson to develop the filter for the 6.0 and that none of the after markets can equal it in efficiency or performance. It is also one of the areas that you don't want to screw with for your warranty. Do what you want but this is one of the areas that were done right.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:42 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
With Ford cutting back on warranty work on the 6.0 I wouldn't want to mess with any mods on the 6.0. Like the post above you won't see much gains with that intake over the stock one. Unless you have a mod freindly dealer or can pay for any repairs yourself I wouldn't chance it for just those reasons.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:02 PM
ktplotts
Senior User
wow, didn't think they would care about that for warrenty. Do they care about a turbo back exhuast?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Tdusseau
Senior User
Originally Posted by ktplotts
wow, didn't think they would care about that for warrenty. Do they care about a turbo back exhuast?
I have been told and have had no problems with the exhaust, through the dealer. The only problem you might run into is if you decide to do the muffler and/or CAT delete options. My dealer does not care about either but some might be "tree huggers" and turn you in.
Just ask them before you need to use them, they will be happy to tell you what they will or will not allow to slip through.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:48 PM
NavyPowerstroker
More Turbo
The stock intake is the best one for the 6.0. Some of the aftermarket may flow more air but how do you flow more air, by less air restriction which doesn't filter as well. Also if you look at where in the RPM range you get the increase in power, it is at a high rpm that you will only see for a very short time while driving. Just my opinion but I would stick with the stock intake and just do the "zoodad" mod.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
obxtuna
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
From what I have read, Ford spent a lot of money for Donaldson to develop the filter for the 6.0 and that none of the after markets can equal it in efficiency or performance. It is also one of the areas that you don't want to screw with for your warranty. Do what you want but this is one of the areas that were done right.
Agreed.
The Donaldson filter is one of the most high tech OEM filters available. Why mod to something that would provide little, if any, benefit?

Just my .02 worth.
Enjoy your truck !!

Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Tdusseau
Senior User
My question is this. If the Donaldson is that good and I agree it is, when it is time to replace it do we go with the Donaldson or would something like a Fram filter be just as good.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:24 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a Visteon intake on my vehicle. It is Ford approved. It does not enhance performance but the whole kit was 130 bucks. Filter refills are less than 20.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Tdusseau
Senior User
That is what I am looking for, OEM performance but cost effective($$) replacement filters.

Thanks jasfaa.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
refuse2
Senior User
Originally Posted by jasfaa
I put a Visteon intake on my vehicle. It is Ford approved. It does not enhance performance but the whole kit was 130 bucks. Filter refills are less than 20.
Same here but mine was like $90 shipped to me but they don't have an adapter for the '05 without the mass air flow sensor so I had to make one and it works great.