1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 ford sesquicentennial edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 01:37 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Very neat!

Old 07-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,788 Likes on 1,443 Posts
I find it strange if a truck was specially equipped from Ford, that they would send the badges separately.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,254 Likes on 1,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I find it strange if a truck was specially equipped from Ford, that they would send the badges separately.
It sounds like there was not really any specific equipment to them say like different cloth seats and colors or running boards & flares.
With that said the dealer could put the badges on, not charge for items like AC and people would think they got a deal and the dealer sold a truck.
I bet back then when AC was an option and you could "deal: with a dealer if you wanted a truck on the lot that had AC and you did not want AC you could get that truck with AC at no charge.
Today everything comes with AC and the prices so close between dealers you can't get stuff "thrown in".
Dave - - - -

Old 07-23-2019, 01:55 PM
fordmania
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never knew of the 'Sesquicentnnial' edition, but I can tell you for sure, that I've registered my '86 with Texas Sesquicentnnial plates. Sorta fitting since they were originally on the truck when it was new. (Grandpa bought it new).

If any of you fellow Texans have an '86, and want to register it as a classic, these plates are a neat way to go. No more inspections or any of that mess.

Last used in '92

Old 07-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by fordmania
I never knew of the 'Sesquicentnnial' edition, but I can tell you for sure, that I've registered my '86 with Texas Sesquicentnnial plates. Sorta fitting since they were originally on the truck when it was new. (Grandpa bought it new).

If any of you fellow Texans have an '86, and want to register it as a classic, these plates are a neat way to go. No more inspections or any of that mess.
But you can't drive it to work or use it for anything except shows, parades and taking it to the shop to get it worked on correct?

Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 PM
fordmania
Cross-Country
But you can't drive it to work or use it for anything except shows, parades and taking it to the shop to get it worked on correct?
Correct. Technically.

I still have regular insurance on it and it only gets used occasionally as I have a '16 F150 that's my daily driver. I think where you'd get in trouble is with classic car insurance as it specifically prohibits use as daily transportation. Any claim would have a mileage verification and more scrutiny than an everyday kinda policy.

I have 3 other vehicles registered as 'antiques' and they do have classic car insurance with mileage stipulations and garage requirements. Those obviously don't get used except on fair-weather weekends.

I do however, have several friends and acquaintances that have their vehicles registered as classics & antiques who drive them regularly to work. None have ever had an issue with the law coming up during a traffic stop. Not sure what they use for insurance. I'm not that brave and try not to push my luck. I only drive mine one day a week to work and weekends for random errands to keep it exercised.

It's a win-win for me since it's no longer my daily driver and would only be used occasionally as listed on the classic plate application. Tag's good for five years and no more inspections and no more stickers on the windshield. Plus a year-specific plate is always cool. Good enough for me!

Old 07-23-2019, 03:08 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,254 Likes on 1,922 Posts
Correct. Technically.

I still have regular insurance on it and it only gets used occasionally as I have a '16 F150 that's my daily driver. I think where you'd get in trouble is with classic car insurance as it specifically prohibits use as daily transportation. Any claim would have a mileage verification and more scrutiny than an everyday kinda policy.

I have 3 other vehicles registered as 'antiques' and they do have classic car insurance with mileage stipulations and garage requirements. Those obviously don't get used except on fair-weather weekends.

I do however, have several friends and acquaintances that have their vehicles registered as classics & antiques who drive them regularly to work. None have ever had an issue with the law coming up during a traffic stop. Not sure what they use for insurance. I'm not that brave and try not to push my luck. I only drive mine one day a week to work and weekends for random errands to keep it exercised.

It's a win-win for me since it's no longer my daily driver and would only be used occasionally as listed on the classic plate application. Tag's good for five years and no more inspections and no more stickers on the windshield. Plus a year-specific plate is always cool. Good enough for me!
So you have regular insurance on the truck? What is book value a few hundred dollars? One little dent and it is totaled and gone.

This is something we all need to look into for insurance. I know I have put in way to much of my time and money into my truck to just have regular insurance and be totaled from a little dent.
Dave ----

Old 07-23-2019, 03:20 PM
Banjo picker1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone has some of these badges they’d like to sell, PM me! Even though I live in the Carolina’s now, i’d like to still have a little bit of Texas on my truck lol!

Old 07-23-2019, 03:25 PM
fordmania
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
So you have regular insurance on the truck? What is book value a few hundred dollars? One little dent and it is totaled and gone.

This is something we all need to look into for insurance. I know I have put in way to much of my time and money into my truck to just have regular insurance and be totaled from a little dent.
Dave ----
Good point. Yes, it's just regular liability with a few of the options upgraded for medical/property damage.

This truck is not restored and sits outside most of the time. Eventually it'll get repainted and be kept inside. Once that happens, it'll get the fancy classic car insurance with agreed value. Right now I don't have enough garage space to keep it inside all the time which is a stipulation of the classic insurance, so fingers crossed...

Old 07-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Franklin2
They become "aware of it" sometimes. It was several years ago, but the other county I used to live suddenly had a sheriff at the dump. Anyone taking their trash away in a truck with antique plates got a instant ticket, and I heard there were many that got a ticket.

They also crack down hard on "farm use" tags around here. Regular people push the limits as well as the farmers push the limits on the rules for their use. It's all about revenue, but I hope people do not ruin a good thing that the antique car guys have right now.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:06 PM
FordPUMan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last used in '92

I have 2 of those plates that was on a 1970 Cougar I had back then.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:37 AM
fordmania
Cross-Country
They become "aware of it" sometimes. It was several years ago, but the other county I used to live suddenly had a sheriff at the dump. Anyone taking their trash away in a truck with antique plates got a instant ticket, and I heard there were many that got a ticket.

They also crack down hard on "farm use" tags around here. Regular people push the limits as well as the farmers push the limits on the rules for their use. It's all about revenue, but I hope people do not ruin a good thing that the antique car guys have right now.
Sucks to hear that they're doing stuff like that around your neck of the woods. I do occasionally haul larger things from Home Depot in the '86 since it's got the 8' bed... king ranch only has a measly 5'.

How much did the ticket cost for using an antique vehicle for everyday use? Not sure how y'alls state treats them. Are the tags good for 5 years like here in TX? What I'm getting at is when you factor in the cost of licensing a truck with standard tags for 5 years here ($75-$80 a year) vs the one-time charge for antique plates ($50 for 5 yrs), whatever you save vs how much the ticket would be if caught might still make it a wash. Who knows? Regardless, I hope people don't abuse it too much and ruin it for the rest of us.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:39 AM
fordmania
Cross-Country
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FordPUMan
I have 2 of those plates that was on a 1970 Cougar I had back then.
You interested in selling them? I have an '86 mustang that would look good with a set of those.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Franklin2
How much did the ticket cost for using an antique vehicle for everyday use? .
Class 4 misdemeanor not to exceed $250 and you can't get a antique tag after that for 5 years.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:26 PM
fordmania
Cross-Country
Class 4 misdemeanor not to exceed $250 and you can't get a antique tag after that for 5 years.
That's no bueno!

Quick Reply: 1986 ford sesquicentennial edition