1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:33 PM
zman764
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heater Core

So I need a new heater core. Probably gonna be somewhere less than 1k and more than 400, I know this is broad but this is what it looks like, labor parts everything. I also started thinking about simply blocking off the heater core and seein how much of a man I am when next January and February roll around. If I do simply block off the heater core, are there any consequences to engine cooling I should be aware of? Or is this practice safe?

Thanks.

Oh yeah 97, 4x4, 4.6, 191k miles.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:46 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When my heater core started leaking I didnt have the time to fool with it so I just cut the heater hoses from under the hood and clamped them togather using a piece of plastic tubeing about the size of the hose. That way the coolant still runs the way its suppossed to, just not through the core. I was however dying to fix it as soon as the weather turned cold. Dont know how mechanically inclined you are or how much patience you possess but I did this job myself with a hand from my brother in law. The whole dash has to come out of the truck, it is a long drawn out process but it only cost me $64 plus $10 for a 12 pack verses the $400 to $600 you are about to pay for someone else to do it. It took us 8.5 hours to do mine, not hard, just have to pay attention.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:02 PM
97F150project
Freshman User
my heater core started leaking the begining of this winter, i was smellin loads of antifreeze through my heater vents. so i looked for the cheapest way out, i bought a bottle of liquid alliuminum, or you oculd try a bars stop leak for your radiator, it finds the leak and seals it, works great. i plan on keepin it this way untill i really need it, just watch your antifreeze level

Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 PM
97fordf150
Junior User
Smile Htr core instructions

Ive got a set of instructions to change out the htr core.
step by step, easy to follow & pretty detailed.
email me directly for a copy.
dfkelly42 at hotmail dotcom
Best of Luck,
Don

or google search for "dfkelly42" for my email address.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:22 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Bypassing is no problem to the cooling system. And you do not even need an "adapter" to connect two hoses. Just cut one hose at the heater side and route it right from the inlet of the engine side to the outlet of the engine side. Cutting the hoses is no big deal, since you will want to replace them anyway when putting a new heater core.

Around here the going rate for the heater core repair is 1k. It is a PITA. You can do it yourself and save a lot of money. That's what I did. I never recommend mechanic in a can type products to fix leaks. The stuff will sludge up your cooling system. If you want to keep the truck for a long time, bite the bullet and get the job done.

The engineers at the factory should burn in hell for putting the heater core where it is. And the bean counters should burn with them, for buying a cheap POS heater core that doesn't even last 10 years. This is why I went back to a 95 bronco. You can change the core in 30 minutes if it needs to be. So far the 10 year old stock unit is fine ...

George

Old 03-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
I wouldn't cut the hoses... Just my opinion though... they aren't cheap in comparison to straight hose, and the quick disconnects come loose from the core very easily. The only clamp I had trouble with was the factory compression clamp on the back hose. I found that a small pair of channel lock pliers worked the best... the bent kneck allowed a little more leverage than straight pliers. Anyway, you can pull the hoses, inspect them, and re-use them if they look ok, mine were fine. I used a piece of 5/8" heater hose about 16" long for the bypass, and used screw type clamps and angled them for easier access when I get ready to swap out the core. Either way, I haven't noticed any difference in engine temp or seen any problems with bypassing the core... it's just a little cool on the way to work in the morning.

Originally Posted by geoaigel
The engineers at the factory should burn in hell for putting the heater core where it is. And the bean counters should burn with them, for buying a cheap POS heater core that doesn't even last 10 years. This is why I went back to a 95 bronco. You can change the core in 30 minutes if it needs to be. So far the 10 year old stock unit is fine ...

George

I agree... what a PITA. I changed out the stock unit in my 85 Bronco this last fall... it lasted 20 years, no complaints here. It's unbelievable to me that I already have to change out the core in my 99 F150... what is up with that anyway? And what happened to the handy dandy access panel they put on the early 90 explorers? That is the best thing I had ever seen... 4 screws and you're in... 20-30 min. swap tops... Seems like they could have incorporated something like that into all the new vehicles???

Old 03-20-2006, 02:53 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Yup. I had an 86 Ranger with the same access panel. 15 minutes to change the core. It could be worse though. Changed the heater core in a 93 VW passat and had to VENT THE AC to get to it. Doh!

George

Old 03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
92merc
Tuned
I replaced the heater core the summer before replacing the truck, my 89 F150. 15 minute job. Pull glove box and door. Remove hoses.

I think I lost about a cup of antifreeze. That was easily replaced. The wife still misses the old '89. Me, I like my 2003 Screw too much.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:44 PM
fire105
Junior User
Is there any year that they were upgraded or improved and better access.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:09 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
As far as I know the location remains the same at least until 2004. Not sure about them using better parts later. I have had quite a few friends and acquaintances with bad cores up to 2001 models.

George

Old 03-20-2006, 08:58 PM
zman764
Laughing Gas
Welp, for now I have used some Bark's Leak. I accidently got the brand that treats 3 gallons instead of the brand that treats 22 quarts. my truck holds 19.4 quarts so with this 3 gallon treatment bottle im under doing it by 7.4 quarts, but there is 0 smell running the a/c and very small smell running the heater, but im figuring that is antifreeze that is dripped down onto the coils of the heater core and just all in that area? How is that theory? I think Im gonna grab another bottle on the way home 2moro to make up for the 7.4 quarts. I just want this to get me to the summer so I can leave the truck with a friend to do the work while im on vacation or something. During the school year driving to school, then to work, then to school, then home all in one day it would be very difficult to be with out my truck.
I am mechanically inclined but not neeeeear patient enough to take my dash out and keep all the wires and what not organized.
My truck has 191k miles on it. I want it to get me through college and a little past it. So Im figuring if I can make it to 220k miles with no major engine problems I will be happy. I already have purchased a new trans somewhere around 170k so I think I should be pretty good to go except for little things.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:05 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Zman. Sounds exactly like my schedule. Heater core at 185k. Head gasket at 201k.

The anti freeze leftover theory is not bad. I had the same thing even with a new core and a cleaned up duct. I first thougth I am going to loose it. But luckiely the smell went away in a week's time. You should keep an eye on the coolant level, if it doesn't go away in a week or two.

Good Luck!

George

Old 03-20-2006, 11:03 PM
zman764
Laughing Gas
I plan on flushing the system whenever I do get around to having a new heater core installed so hopefully this leak stuff will be in there less than 5k miles.

And by the way if something happens and my head gasket goes out at 201k miles... well lets just say
To you.
Ha Ha. My engine is completley bone dry no leaks anywhere so Im hopin imma be in good shope for the next 40k.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:10 AM
geoaigel
Elder User
Well, don't flush too hard, you may flush the crumbs out that hold the head gasket in. Seriously, the head gasket is just statistics. I do not think it is as likely as the heater core, for example.

George

Old 03-21-2006, 12:21 PM
dennisinmo
Junior User
I’m beginning to smell a little antifreeze and notice some antifreeze missing in the bottle. I have a replacement engine so I don’t think it’s the gaskets although I’m going to have it looked at by the mechanic that installed it for warranty. I think I will be replacing the heater core this summer. Are the Auto Zone, etc heater cores any good or should I go with the OEM? 127K miles 97 4.2L Thanks

Quick Reply: Heater Core