Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust in fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Iron Horseman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust in fuel tank

I had a rusted split in my fuel tank last fall of my 95 150. A little epoxy and no leak. But since then I've had a problem. Tell me what you think the symptoms of alot of rust floating around in my gas tank would be. I have only the rear metal tank. Thanks, David.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Iron Horseman
Senior User
Sorry to bump this up, but I could really use another opinion. Thanks guys.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:07 PM
hladun
Junior User
My rear tank rusted out due to dirt/moisture buildup between skid plate and tank. Tanks are not painted and are a disaster waiting to happen. My auto shop stocks Ford tanks in bulk, nough said!

Old 03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
replace it.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:19 PM
pmleow
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Describe the problem

Iron Horseman, it'd help us out if you could first describe the problems you are having. Then maybe we can tell you possible sources of those problems.

A little bit of rust in your fuel tank shouldn't cause any problems as long as the filter on the sending unit is intact. The filter will stop rust and sediment from entering the sending unit and fuel lines. If the filter has been damaged and some rust or sediment does pass by the filter bag than it may damage the sending unit and cause all kinds of problems such as irradic stalling and failures to start.

Of more concern would be a large amount of sediment in your tank. This sediment can choke sending unit and can also cause irradic stalling and failures to start.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Iron Horseman
Senior User
Ok. It have a miss when the engine is under load and when I try ro pull out it dies. 5 speed. It will hesitate and die when I go to stop also. I have been through the engine and electrical all the way down to replacing the stator, O2 sensor, MAP, IACV, TPS, plugs cap and button and fuel filter. I have 32 psi on the rail at idle, but this is when it runs fine. It also runs great under normal runs. Like cruising at any normal speed. Hot or cold weather. I blocked the EGR off the eliminate a stuck open EGR. Replaced the pcv and hose. No vacuum leaks. I did have a rusted split last fall. A little epoxy fixed that, but ever since I've had this problem.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 AM
pmleow
Junior User
Alright, It sounds like you hit most everything up front besides cleaning out your throttle body and fuel injectors. Usually a problem like this can often be traced back to when they first occured and you say that you hadn't had any problems until you fixed that leaky tank.

Since it seems to die when fuel pressure is at its highest (under load) it may be that you have enough rust and junk sitting at the bottom of your tank to plug up the filter bag on the sending unit just enough so that it cannot supply the fuel fast enough.

Stopping, especially when low on fuel, may also result inadequate fuel draw with a partially plugged filter bag.

So my suggestion is to drop the tank and take a look inside and see just how much junk is rolling around in there. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Iron Horseman
Senior User
I greatly appreciate you my friend. I did run 2 bottles of injector cleaner through it, but still that doesn't guarentee a fix on a plugged injector. I'm planning on putting on a new tank this weekend even though the old one has the leak stopped, but I'd hate to get out wheelin' or anywhere and a leak re-appear while I'm low on fuel. I keep the epoxy handy, but if I'm busy driving, I may not notice it until it's too late. Thanks again buddy.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 PM
pmleow
Junior User
No problem. FTE is a great place to get advice from those who have been there.

A word to the wise. If you've never replaced a tank before you'll find that it can be somewhat frustrating the first time. Plan on replacing the entire sending unit, not just the filter bag. Those units rust up pretty bad on the outside and more often then not you end up breaking it trying to get it out of the tank. Also, go with a plastic tank if you can find one. You'll likely have to get new tank straps too. Look around to see how much they are from an autoparts store. If they are too much you can make your own. You might have to cut the filler neck to get the tank out. If so you'll have to get a replacement. You also might need to replace the clips that hold the fuel lines onto the sending unit if you break them trying to get them off. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:54 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My front tank needed a new sender last year. I dropped it, opened the tank and pulled out the sender/pump assy. I looked inside the tank with a light and I saw alot of dirt in the bottom of the tank, it was suspended in the few quarts of gas still inside the tank. I did nothing to remove the dirt, I replaced the sender bolted the tank back on and the truck has been fine.
I think some of that dirt gets stuck in the fuel filter over time, large particles may temporarily get stuck on the pump screen inside the tank, but they eventually will come loose, fall down, and probably just keep floating around until they break into smaller pieces, and may make it to the in-line filter.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:01 AM
xjvince
Mountain Pass
NPD has good affordable replacement tanks and pumps. if they're rusty replace them both. i've been there, done that. pulling them is the easy part. i pulled the rear & side tank. when looking under the truck you see the outer hose. unclamp it from the filler when pulling the tank.there is a inner hose inside hooked to the filler port. sand the sharp edge off the inner hose & wd40 it and things will go back together much easier. it will make sense once the tank is out.