Old Truck - New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Old Truck Bill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Old Truck - New Owner

Hi,

I am purchasing a '66 F250 Camper Special and I know I will have a bunch of questions.

Is this a good place to ask those questions? Is there anybody out there who can answer questions like where the most reputable place to order parts is? How do I replace the bed floor with the parts I see advertised on-line? Can I replace the gears in the rear end so I can get better gas mileage since this is just a driver?

I am sure this is only a few of the questions I will have!!

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Bill

Old 03-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bill; Welcome to the best web site for FORD Trucks; and yes this is the place to recieve advise and comments ranging from restoring to daily maintenance, you have tape into the greatest bunch of Truck Enthusiasts in the world. Take sometime and read past threads on topic covering all your initial questions as well as previous forums covering our Slicks..
Also you can even post your vin data info and someone here will break down all the spec's on your 66, or view the first couple post on this forum and you will find a member has provided that means for you..
Again welcome aboard..

Mitch

Old 03-14-2006, 10:19 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I'll 2nd everything Mitch has said to you Bill, if you can't find what you need to know here you probably won't find it anywhere else, so WELCOME & ask away
FBp

Old 03-15-2006, 05:04 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Bill, Welcome to FTE The nations truck stop.

Do spend some time in the archives, your questions have already been asked.

John

Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 AM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Bill - about the rear end gears...First, find out what's in there. The CS had either a 4.10 or a 4.56. The ID tag on the door, or the tag on the diff cover will tell you, although to know for sure you will have remove the cover and look for the tooth count stamped on the ring gear. Most 250s of the 60's-70's used a 3.73. This ratio would be a big improvment over a 4.56, but might not be worth the cost of parts and labour compared to the fuel penalty you pay with a 4.10.
A good candidate for a junkyard 3.54 is the mid-70's CS with a 460/auto, but they are uncommon. You'll have to pull the cover to know. Most CS rears are limited-slip.
If you are not experienced with setting up rear ends, the Dana 60 is not the one on which to learn. And, shop charges will be a little more than you would like to pay...
Good luck!
Eric

Old 03-15-2006, 03:16 PM
magee
Elder User
There seems to be a growing number of aftermarket parts from vendors like LMC Truck, The Paddock and several others. Unfortunately, no one makes a patch panel for the bed floors in our trucks. Well, at least not yet. You're stuck with finding a donor bed to steal a piece from or, depending on your rust situation, swap beds/bed floor. There are alot of knowledgeable people that use this site and you will learn alot (I have). Remember, the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Old Truck Bill
New User
Thank you so much for the input! Sadly - I did not buy the truck. I took it to my mechanic and found that the intake manifod was leaking oil at a constant drip rate and the rear end was flinging oil all over the place. I was in the market for a driver and this, along with the deterioration of the body especially where it connected to the frame, made it too much for my pocketbook at the price they were asking.

IT SURE WAS PRETTY THOUGH!

The whole process made it clear to myself that I want an old truck though and I seem to have won some points with my bride by making the "smart" decision on this one. Hopefully the next smart decision will be to purchase one.

I hope to be back asking questions soon.
Bill

Old 03-23-2006, 06:47 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smart move...I passed up the first one I looked at also, after driving 12+ hours to look at it.
There are good trucks out there, but you may have to travel outside MI to find them. I "imported" mine from the south.
I'd suggest you join Slick 60s as we have members all over the country. They are always finding trucks for sale. If you're in the 'network' your chances of finding a good one are greatly increased. And if a member puts his up for sale, chances are it is a better truck than most.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:25 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

All greeeat Good Points ddavidv!

Bill,
1st thing you gotta do is determine what you plan to do with your "Slick" when you do get one. Then get one that will do all you want it to do.

If you plan on keeping it & being buried in it on your demise, like me, get the one you want when you get your 1st one. . . .it's far cheaper and a lot easier.

Also bear in mind the 65 & later 4X2 with Twin I's are easiest to upgrade into this 1st century of the 2nd Millennium we are in now. Later Power & Drive Trains bolt in and there are a many more options and much more variety available with better results IMHO when the 65 & later style is used for the basis.

FBp