1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1960, From VIN to rear axle to other ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:22 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1960, From VIN to rear axle to other ?'s

For some reason, my search is not working right tonight so:

This is all concerning 1960 F100 long bed's.

Decoding? F10COR42XXX, Color-BM, Date-12E, Trans-A, Axle-01 and F10COR44XXX, Color-F, Date-02F. The rest is the same.

Trans is 3 on the tree, axle is 3.55 open as from tag and gear ratio check.

On the axles, one truck has a "regular" housing and the other has a pretty heavy gaurd on the top side of the U-joint with a rubber bumper. Why the difference and is one better than the other?

Re-Chroming an old vs chroming an old. Is it better to have a grill that is now chrome, redone or have one that is not chrome, chromed.

Where is a good location to get a manual. Parts store here are of no help. Just looking fore the basic type.

Are there wiring schematics on line somewhere?

Who's is the best parts house for these old beasts? Looked at several, just wondering what most use.

Your luck installing a used windshield. I have a good one, it is just in the wrong cab.

Guess that is enough for now. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It would probably be easier (for our listeners at least) to break up your questions into separate threads. I know it's more work for you, but you're much more likely to get answers to a single question.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:59 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Yep, different borads work differently. No problem. Actually got some figured out since my search is working today.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:59 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>> Re-Chroming an old vs chroming an old. Is it better to have a grill that is now chrome, redone or have one that is not chrome, chromed.

I'd rather start with a good painted grill. Chrome grills have to be deplated, which I assume costs more than stripping paint. Plus, the chrome grills I've seen have been rustier than the painted ones.

>> Where is a good location to get a manual. Parts store here are of no help. Just looking fore the basic type.

Auto parts swap meets. There's usually a couple of dealers in manuals and brochures and such. A MOTOR truck shop manual from the '60s is better than nothing, and doesn't cost too much at the swaps.

>> Who's is the best parts house for these old beasts? Looked at several, just wondering what most use.

Dennis Carpenter, LMC Truck, B&W, but collect a bunch of catalogs and see who has what you need. Classic Performance at first glance looks like a Ch*vy place, but they have some useful bits for '57-60 Ford trucks (steering/suspension/brakes). For mechanical parts your local NAPA or other parts house can still get a lot of stuff. RockAuto looks good for mechanical parts, (but shipping by UPS to Canada is unpleasant, so I haven't used them); their site is a good cross-reference for finding part numbers that you can then ask the local guys for).

When it comes to sheet metal, there's the standard patch panels available from everyone (cab corners, lower fenders, step plates and wells), and at least one place has started doing floor patch panels. There's fiberglass fenders and front clip from US Body, if you have the money.

Many parts have not been reproduced, so your only hope is NOS parts or used parts off other trucks. Spend some time touring wrecking yards (take a camera), or buy parts trucks if you have the space. Set up a saved search on Ebay for the parts you're looking for.

Last edited by angus; 03-10-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:24 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Thanks. Good info.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:24 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Hi Pete,

F10C0R42XXX

F10..............F100
C.................292 V-8
0.................1960 Model year
R.................San Jose, CA. Assembly plant
42xxx...........Sequential production number

Color B-M...........(Two-toned) B= Indian Turquoise, M=Corinthian White
Date 12E............Built on the 12th day of may, First year production
Trans A..............3 Speed standard
Axle 01...............3.70 to 1 gear ratio

*2nd truck*
Color F.................Sky Mist Blue
Date 02F..............Built 2nd day of June, First year production

Sorry, I can't help with the axle housing difference.

Old 03-18-2006, 05:00 AM
pickup_289
Senior User
E Bay has plenty of owners manuals and Truck manuals. Also wiring schematics too.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:43 AM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info.