Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
vdaily89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to reprogram computer??

I took my truck to the shop(reference this thread as to why):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=465127

He called and said they can't figure out what's wrong. No codes show up, no vac leaks, checked the wiring, plugs, wires, etc. Even said they replaced some parts just to see if that was it, and nothing. He suggested another shop with different computers. Called them and the guy said that since I disconnected the battery for the amp install, the computer may need reprogrammed. Is there a way I can check/do this? Or do I need to take it to them?

Old 03-09-2006, 05:08 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, first off your trouble all started when you hooked up the stereo. Make sure that the wires running to the stereo and amp, are the proper ones. If you just hooked up a stereo to what you thought was a hot wire, then you can cause serious problems as you describe.

For two, I don't think you can reprogram the computer on this truck model. like the newer vehicles nowdays. The computer's vital memory is hard chipped into it, and the only eraseable data, are the codes it will produce. You can add a performance chip, but that's all. In other words if the computers memory is damaged then you will need another computer, simple as that. Junk yards should have these still for this truck around. You have either a Ford EEC III or IV, not a OBDII computer.

Match the part numbers up exactly, and you should be good to go.

Did you run a diagnostic on the truck? Did you get any codes at all? You should get at least a code 11, or 111, saying the system is fine.

Hope this helps you out.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:17 PM
vdaily89
Senior User
All I replaced was amp/speaker. Everything is fine there. I triple checked and the mechanic did too. He didn't get any trouble codes(nothing wrong anyway).
I'm afraid the computer got fried somehow. Guess I may start looking.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 PM
vdaily89
Senior User
where is the computer located? Is it behind a kickpanel?? If so, maybe I accidentally undid something. Just thought of that.