General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Internet

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internet

Were wanting to get rid of our home phone, but we still need internet.

so which is the best quaility, fast, cheapest, and reliable for just internet?

Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
We have the 3meg DSL for $35 a month. It is much more reliable and about $10 cheaper than the same speed cable. Hence why we switched.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as far as i know, DSL providers still require a dial tone...

you could get cable, or possibly wireless if availible.

Sat internet sucks

Old 03-07-2006, 08:11 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my ex wife got rid of her land line,uses a cell phone for her normal phone and has cable for internet,and hasn't had any problems so far.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 AM
grease monkey
Elder User
I pay $50 a month for broadband though my Cable Company. But me personally I hate dial-up thats how come there is a huge hole on the side of my monitor.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:18 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cjben
my ex wife got rid of her land line,uses a cell phone for her normal phone and has cable for internet,and hasn't had any problems so far.
We did the same thing we got rid of our phone and got cable internet and it's alot faster and no problems with someone calling and knocking us off line we have had it a year and will not go back.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:35 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

We got rid of our landline a few months ago. We use Adelphia cable for our internet because that is available in our area but I am looking into satelite.

If you are willing to spend a little bit in the startup cost or pay more for a certain period look into the Satelite internet.

Direcway is the only company I know that offers it.

www.direcway.com

Although their were some connection issues in the past as their normally is with all new technology I have not heard anything negative in a while. I have several friends that live out in the boonies that would have no internet were it not for Direcway.

What I like about them is that when I am away from home for 4 weeks in my travel trailer I can take the dish with me and still be connected the world and FTE..

Old 03-07-2006, 09:38 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CAFordDude
We got rid of our landline a few months ago. We use Adelphia cable for our internet because that is available in our area but I am looking into satelite.

If you are willing to spend a little bit in the startup cost or pay more for a certain period look into the Satelite internet.

Direcway is the only company I know that offers it.

www.direcway.com

Although their were some connection issues in the past as their normally is with all new technology I have not heard anything negative in a while. I have several friends that live out in the boonies that would have no internet were it not for Direcway.

What I like about them is that when I am away from home for 4 weeks in my travel trailer I can take the dish with me and still be connected the world and FTE..
Is Directway apart of DirectTV?

Old 03-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Chugalug
Elder User
We have to have basic cable to get internet service through cable so I have expanded plus basic plus internet.
It has gone up to over $100. per month.
If I can find out anything about the AARP internet fot $9.95 a month, and if we have a local number I think I will cut cable completely out of the picture and go with AARP.
I don,t need this fast service for what I do.
If I made money with it I could justify having it.
Just my .02

Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No Direcway is not part of DirectTv. I do not know if they were at one time but they are their own company now. You can get them independent of DirectTv say for instance if you had The DIsh instead.

The bad part is that you do need to have a seperate dish because Satelite TV dishes are only designed to recieve a signal while the Satelite internet dish is designed to send and recieve signals.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:57 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes they are, they have the same parent company. They can't have both under the same name for some reason. I do know that when you call direcway to have it installed they send the DirecTv installer. Last time I checked into satellite internet, it was way to expensive, and had to be installed by one of their licensed installers. If it wasn't they wouldn't even setup the account.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Leader
Elder User
Originally Posted by Chugalug
We have to have basic cable to get internet service through cable so I have expanded plus basic plus internet.
It has gone up to over $100. per month.
If I can find out anything about the AARP internet fot $9.95 a month, and if we have a local number I think I will cut cable completely out of the picture and go with AARP.
I don,t need this fast service for what I do.
If I made money with it I could justify having it.
Just my .02
If all you're looking for is CHEAP dial up... NetZero & People PC have about the cheapest service & the most local numbers I know of. I have the NetZero free service loaded on all my computers as a back up & the peoplepc on my laptop for when I'm on the road.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:27 AM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
I have had Vonage for phone and Earthlink (via RoadRunner) now for almost 2 years now. Been very happy with them both. Before that, I had Verizon for phone service and DSL. My phone bill was $140/month for both (we use a lot of long distance). My bill is now down to around $75/month with Vonage and Earthlink. . .

Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Hillbillywagon
Senior User
I run a wireless internet connection through clearwire. Not as fast as some of the cable or dsl speeds but I still blow dialup out of the water. For 768k download speed I am paying 35 a month with modem rental, for ten bucks more a month I could have a 1.5 meg download speed.

So far I have been very happy with this service.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru
I have basic cable (just locals) with the internet, and the price just keeps going up. I don't recall what it is right now but I think it's around $75 or so. With them prices I'm working on a wireless set up to get my dad's house connected to it down the street. Maybe someone could strike up a deal with a neigbor and share one internet bill.

Another cheaper option for those with laptops. Go find a coffee shop with free wireless internet and sit there for a while. If you get a wireless card with an external antenna jack on it you can sit a hundred yards away from it outside in the parking lot. This is something that I have been doing on my lunch breaks. I'm using a orinoco gold card with a small mag mount antenna. I also borrowed my dads cantenna and that one really blows my little antenna away.

Quick Reply: Internet