The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Your first wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 AM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like the majority of the wrecks here were not at fault by you guys.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:02 AM
superpony18
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to drive Fire trucks and hated it when people pulled out in front of me, but I had air horns and sirens, I almost gave a lady a heart attack once.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Hillbillywagon
Senior User
Originally Posted by handyman43358
It makes me mad when people pull out in front of semi's, thinking they'll make it. I mean c'mon folks, those things cant stop on a dime!
I know it, 80,000 pounds takes a while to stop. I am just glad that my tanker was empty. I had just delivered a load of solvent. My tanker ruptured in that wreck but if it would have been full, I would not have survived. We are talking crispy critter type stuff. Had a small fire in the tank just from the residue, a few thousand gallons would have made for a heck of a bang!

Worst thing about the wreck though was she was on the phone with her mom (why do people have to talk and drive!) when she got hit. Her mom showed up at the accident within five minutes. She had to listen to her 19 year old daughter die over the phone.

I was pretty messed up for a while there. Started drinking real heavy. Took me about 6 months to pull my self back together.

Please don't use your phone while driving, and for god sakes pay attention to your surroundings. It has been three years since that wreck and I still wake up once in a while in a cold sweat because of it.

I don't want anyone's pity, just want people to start paying attention to the road so accidents like that can be avoided. If the call is important, stop the car and make it. No damn phone call is worth loosing your life over.

I am not going to go into detail of what the scene looked like but I can tell you this much, I have never seen a worse accident in my life, and I hope to never see another as bad. The front of my Kenworth ripped the roof off of her car. The aftermath was not a pretty site.

Last edited by Hillbillywagon; 03-16-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM
ladyBronco
Junior User
My first wreck was in my dad's 2002 Ford Ranger. I was making my way down a gravel road, going a little fast but I was definitely under 50 mph, when I hit three in-line pot holes and lost my back end. With great panic I slammed on my brakes and careened of the left side of the road into my neighbors barbed wire fence. I was able to drive it out, but it scratched the paint really bad and slashed one of the tires. I made sure to call my neighbor to let him know what happened and went back to replace his fence posts.

A year or so later my sister got the truck and it took the weight off me when she backed up her friend's car right into her own truck.

Eva

Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 PM
HavingDoubts
New User
My first wreck was about a month and a half ago. I was driving about 40 MPH on a narrow one lane backroad. It was drizzling a little bit, just enough to cover the blacktop. I didn't know the road at all and it was nighttime. I topped a rise and there was a SHARP 90 degree turn in front of me. I never had a chance. The truck went straight, even though I turned the wheel hard to the left. I ran off the road, went through two chainlink fences and hit three cars in a junkyard. It slightly crumpled the front fender and shoved the bumper back to the tires. Other than that, it was fine and I drove the truck home.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:51 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems like the majority of the wrecks here were not at fault by you guys.
Well to tell you the truth, I've had about 6 wrecks and every one of them have been my fault, but only one of them has involved another car.

Tim

Old 06-29-2006, 07:13 PM
sirkt
Senior User
Thumbs down

Well the first one was Tuesday June 20th.

I was out on a gravel road about 5 miles north of town. I was doing about 50mph when I poped up over a hill and took a curve WAY to fast. The rear end got loose and I fliped the bronco on its top. I made it out fine but the truck is totaled. Well not really no frame damage, but the top and right side is screwed up and I broke a motor mount so she won't start and the just the parts will cost more than I paid for it, not to mention the labor.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:47 PM
skilife17
Elder User
I've been in a couple recks only one with my truck. Coming home from the store in Dec I took the corner too fast backend went out on the snow and ice tried to save it ended up hitting a mailbox. I didn't destroy the mailbox but put about $800 worth of damage into my truck, small dent and scratched the cab and box side. I had it touched up and really can't tell anything ever happened except for the small dent that is still there.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:45 PM
JD717
Elder User
My first/only wreck was in my moms S10. first call was her after the police to report it. my exact words, "umm, hi mom, dont kill me but I wrecked your truck." it was a rearender and I hit an MDX, I'll tell ya, those things are tough SUVs.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:02 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
in high school some idiot pulled out in front of me while cruising the "lap" after school, i was driving my pristine condition 1968 camaro that my dad and i restored for me, only got to drive it for a couple of months after working on it for 3 years....bummer....and yes, i was MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then a few years ago some teenage girl yakking on her cell fone rear ended me in my 1995 f350. that pintle hook reciever went right through her front end and smashed her engine in her little nissan, not a single scratch on my truck, it didn't even knock all the dirt of the hitch!

Old 06-30-2006, 06:47 AM
handyman43358
Postmaster
So I'm guessing the Camaro got totaled?

I think your F350/Nissan story is hilarious. I've always kept the tongue in the reciever in my truck, just in case some ricer decides to rear-end me. Although somebody told me a little while back that Ohio was trying to outlaw tongues being in reciever's unless you are using it to tow. Unless they think they can get the tongue out of the reciever of my truck, it's staying there. Rust welding can be a beautiful thing!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:53 AM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
Rust welding
Heh...

My 'worst' wreck wasn't all that bad. I was driving home to mow a few lawns with my friend, and I'm doing 35mph in a 35mph zone. I was being totally legal, knowing that cops frequent the area. I'm going through an intersection. A lady decides that she wants to follow the person making a left in front of her. Well, clearly she didn't even look, with the cell phone distracting her and all, and BAM. I t-boned her in my little Chevy Lumina. It totalled my first car. She then proceeded to try and give me a guilt trip about her being late for 'bible school'

Ryan

Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
So I'm guessing the Camaro got totaled?

I think your F350/Nissan story is hilarious. I've always kept the tongue in the reciever in my truck, just in case some ricer decides to rear-end me. Although somebody told me a little while back that Ohio was trying to outlaw tongues being in reciever's unless you are using it to tow. Unless they think they can get the tongue out of the reciever of my truck, it's staying there. Rust welding can be a beautiful thing!

the front sub frame got shifted and bent along with the suspension components, it took a few months of dealing with the other drivers insurance company to even get a payout, even had to call the state insurance commision on them. eventually sold it as wrecked for a good price to my nieghbor, used the money and excuse to get my 1971 chevy running so i could go to work(done out of school and had to get a job).

the parents and older brother of the teenage girl continually harrassed me for awhile after the wreck, kept on saying it had to be my fault, they wanted to have my truck checked out for the brake lights working saying it was an old truck (only 5 years old at the time!) needless to say, they stopped harrassing me when we (my friends and i) started to get a little violent with them, then they finally just dropped everything.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:19 AM
KrenzyRyan
Elder User
Well this wasn't my fault, but some snow bird hit me.

Old fart didnt look over his shouler when he was changing from the right turn lane back into traffic. He was going like 10mph while I was going 55. Swiped me and took off my bumper and dented part of the wheel well. Ended up costing about 3k, looks brand new now.

Took me forever to convince the insurance companies that it wasn't my fault. Even though the Citation favored me!

He was a lawyer...

Old 07-02-2006, 01:43 AM
jcp123
Elder User
Funny you should ask, I just had my first one about a month back. It definitely was my fault. I was driving along, edit with my radio and then...BOOM. I met a tree at 45-50mph. Did a number on the front of my Bronco, but the cab was perfectly intact. Both doors still opened, the windshield wasn't even cracked! I didn't get hurt in the accident itself, but I did sprain my ankle jumping out the back of the truck (it got hemmed in and I wasn't smart enough to use the passenger door...oops). I'm just now getting healthy from that. It sucks because I'm without a car now, but it could have been much, much worse and was a great testament to how well the Bronco was built. I'm not sure these new plastic things would have fared as well.

I wasn't speeding (there's technically not a posted speed limit on my road, and according to the driver's handbook should be 55), and when the cop came to take a report, the only thing he could think of to cite me for was "an unsafe speed". Hmm.

Last edited by Beast12; 07-02-2006 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Your first wreck?