Bed all bent up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:17 PM
83Beast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bed all bent up.

I have an 83 150 and the previous owner had an engine block in the back that fell over when he was taking it to its destination. It effectively bent out the right side of the bed, and somehow the left side (which didnt get smacked) is bent out as well. Total gap on the right side is about an inch, the left side, half an inch maybe more. I was wondering, is it possible to get a hand cable winch, and fasten it to the sides and tighten it up to correct the gaps?

I know it would be risking cracking the metal, but if heated up at the proper stress points it should work eh?

The main reason I have to fix this is just because the cap is the only thing really holding the tailgate up. Eventually I would like to eliminate the cap all together.

Any idears?

Old 03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your bed can be pulled back. I would recommend using a strap puller instead of a cable puller. That way you can spread the pressure out over the entire side of the bed, and not bend it in the middle by just pulling the top. If you heat it you will ruin the paint. Try using a rubber mallet to releave the stress in the metal while you have it pulled in. Pull it in a little past where it should be and then firmly tap (not beat) the outside body and the inside bed area. This will releave the stress in the metal and allow it to retain the new shape.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:59 PM
83Beast
New User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info! I will most definately fill you in.

I am going to go give it a shot right now as a matter of fact.

The heating idea I had will ruin the paint like you said, however the paint colour scheme is camoflauge green so I wasn't too worried. But very good point none the less. I'll go snap some pics and get to work.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:35 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also the heating will weaken the sheet metal, and too much heat in one area for too long will warp it. I have straightened two bed, using the method I described. It takes an little more time, pull, hammer, release, check, repull, hammer, release, check etc. until you get where you want it. But I think you will like the results. Can't wait to see the pics.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:46 PM
83Beast
New User
Thumbs down

Welp, I got to it and started to get the liner out and everything else, and low and behold the bed looks like fine italian swiss cheese (the expensive kind that has lot's of holes haha).

So now, since the wheelhouses and the bed are all messed up I am going to go to a few salvage yards and see if I can souce a good bed. During this new bed installation will come a detroit locker in the rear end and also a rear rollbar for the bed.

I will post pictures in another thread. Due to this is going to be a while untill I get down into it, thanks to the Michigan economy .