Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

last step to my rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:13 AM
891/2ton
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last step to my rebuild?

1989 f-150 single cab, long bed.
Bought the truck about six months ago and have since pulled the old junk 351w out and replaced it with a rebuilt national cylinder exchange 351w. lots of other things going on with the truck also, just replaced all braking components short of lines. booster and master cylinder, bed is off and junked, cab is sanded and primered, interior is all new, frame is being painted, lift is on its way, new bearings in front (will have new bearings in rear). I have the motor in and running, I have not timed it yet since all the vacuum lines are not hooked up. Here's my problem: I have the old smog pump still on the motor and one canister left on the passenger fender well behind the battery.
Before I took the old motor out, half the small diameter vacuum lines were either busted in several places or missing completely, I want to hook everything up that needs to be there and forget the rest. I have ordered and received a vacuum and electrical troubleshooting manual but it has no diagrams or actual information regarding where all the lines go and such. I understand this is quite a question to ask but I need to get this thing running properly so I can start driving it. Is there any simple way to find out where all the lines go? Is there anywhere I can purchase new canisters? I need to find new vacuum lines as well. I believe it is a 5/32 line yet it seems this is hard to come by as far as auto parts stores go. I will get back on later and decribe in better detail what I still have hooked up because a few lines are intact and I do have them in the right place. Also do I even need the smog pump, I have heard yes and I have heard no. Thanks for any information.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE. I have a few questions for you as this will help in determining what you need to hook back up. Are the cats still on the truck? Is the air pump locked up? The vacuum leaks are probably the reason the other motor was believed to be junk. If there are no cats, then all you need is a large manifold vaccum line to the booster, a smaller on to the cab with a reservoir for the HVAC system, and if you have a C6 transmission then you'll need a manifold vaccum source to the transmission too. The lines are all 7/32, they used a boot on the plastic lines to convert it from 7/32 to 5/32.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:01 AM
891/2ton
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
few more things

I do not have the cats for the truck, just exhaust manifolds. The air pump is not locked up. I have two metal lines that I are related to the air pump. I thought that one went from the pump to the manifolds somehow and one somewhere else. I do have a c-6 and now that i recall there is a line that goes from the transmission up to right behind the the intake manifold and it tees off somehow with relation to the air pump. Is the pump definately necessary?
Also there is a large outlet on the back of my high rise intake that is I believe a vacuum hookup of some sort. When i start the motor this inlet sucks in so much air that you can hear it over the motor with just manifolds on it, when i plug the hole with my finger it lowers the idle significantly. I know this all sounds like a real amateur build but it has been. It's my first and I have done all the work myself, after all it is a backyard job. I do however want to be as professional with it as I can.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:22 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it still EFI or did you upgrade? There is a large whole for the PCV line, and there are also two smaller freeze plugs in the back of the intake.