Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I beam reinstallation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Kemahhtruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beam reinstallation

This is the second truck I have had to replace the pivot bushings , both f350's I would have liked to gone poly but the way they were was so bad i did not have time to wait. I found an air chisel makes the removal a cinch but struggled with replacing the bushing (1 so far). the problem is I cannot get the bushing hole to line up with the frame. The last time I did this I had a shop w/ lift and another set of hands. This time I am in the street and using floor jacks. Any advice on what to do now?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a set of homemade "alignment tools" for this.

Essentially it's a box of mild steel dowels in different diameters, that I've sharped with a grinder. The "points" are reasonably rounded, as not to catch on anything. I just hammer them through and switch to larger sizes until the alignment is enough where I can slip the bolt through.

I've used them with suspension bushings, body bushings, shocks, and so on.

Some people try to do the same thing with bolts, increasing the size of the bolt until things line up, however bolts have threads so they often get caught, if not tear things up.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Ford4x4-JD70AB
Senior User
Frederic has a good idea with those mild steel dowels. I have also used long punches before as well. I know those i-beams can be a pain to line up. Seems like they need to be just right to go in. If you have 2 floor jacks, i would suggest putting one at each end of the axle and play with both of them untill things line up. Also, if you have the radius arms on and tight, try loosening them up first and then line things up. I find that it helps when lining everything up to have stuff loose and flexible.
Good Luck
Jordan

Old 03-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Kemahhtruck
New User
Not close enuough for punches

I'm about 1.5" from the hole. I cant remember if I had to pry up on the spindle hub.I did this once and didnt have ths problem, but I cant remember what I did to finish the job.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A BFH - big fricken hammer - and a block of wood