Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Performance mods for Lincoln Aviator

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:21 PM
katshot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance mods for Lincoln Aviator

Does anyone here know what's available for an Aviator?

Old 02-28-2006, 02:28 PM
njf207
Senior User
not much that I know of. I can look into it. A friend of mine did a few things to his. I am not sure of what he did to his but there were a few upgrades he has done.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome katshot to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:26 PM
srercrcr
Postmaster
The depreciation on a stock Aviator is bad enough.
It would be worse with mods.
Lincoln buyers will turn the other way.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Blue Diamond
Freshman User
I bought my Aviator for performance and handling, it certainly is a Hot Rod Lincoln. I drove most of the American competition and nothing was as fun to drive, Hemi SUV's included. Cat back exhausts are available from at least two sources. Opening up the air intake in the lower air filter housing and going with a K&M type air filter may not add much power, but at least it sounds great with the DOHC engine. A few Aviators out there have superchargers adapted from those aftermarket units made for the pre 2003 DOHC Cobras. Also shift it yourself at 6500, a free way to go faster.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 AM
katshot
New User
Yeah, I did an exhaust already and it "seemed" to give me a little power. I also opened up the airbox but to me that seems like a bust. I don't think the airbox is the problem with the intake. I know a guy that offers a MAF/airbox upgrade and he only makes claims of something like 10-15HP as I recall. I'll know whether my couple mods have done anything for real as soon as I can take it to the track. So far, I have a good consistent 15.7 ET (stock). I have a modified Cadillac and I'd like to be able to do the same type of custom programming to the Aviator's computer that I did to my Caddy. I know Kenny Brown did/does a modified Aviator, and I've seen others from time to time in magazines but I can't seem to find any company that offers any REAL performance upgrades for these trucks. Maybe it's just time to trade it in for a Trail Blazer SS or Jeep SRT-8. There just doesn't seem to be much aftermarket for Ford stuff other than Mustang and Ford Diesels.
Here's a couple links to pics of my Caddy. I'll post links to pics of my Aviator later.
http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/6...eremoved0r.jpg
http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/5195/around34nc.jpg

Last edited by katshot; 03-01-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:27 AM
katshot
New User
As promised, here's a link to a picture of my Aviator.
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5...nluxury4nx.jpg

Old 03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Blue Diamond
Freshman User
Nice burnout with the Caddy photo. What exhaust mods did you do on the Aviator, and how does it sound?

Old 03-03-2006, 04:38 AM
katshot
New User
Did a 3-chmaber Flowmaster, removed the resonator, and installed a 3" dia. stainless tailpipe. Due to the size of the single exhaust, I decided to stay with it rather than replace the whole thing with duals. I think I made the right decision. I seem to have opened up the exhaust just enough because the truck "feels" stronger and more responsive overall and sounds great! Most people I went to told me that duals weren't possible on the Aviator, so I trusted them rather than pursue one source that supposedly offered duals. Maybe if I had found the one guy that had duals, I might have gone with them but I guess at this point I'll never know for sure. I plan on hitting the track this spring to see what kind of change in ET the exhaust gives me. I have a solid multiple pass 15.7 1/4 mile totally stock, so I'll be interested to see if my SOTP feeling is right or not concerning a power increase.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 PM
MountaineerAWD
Junior User
Originally Posted by katshot
Did a 3-chmaber Flowmaster, removed the resonator, and installed a 3" dia. stainless tailpipe. Due to the size of the single exhaust, I decided to stay with it rather than replace the whole thing with duals. I think I made the right decision. I seem to have opened up the exhaust just enough because the truck "feels" stronger and more responsive overall and sounds great! Most people I went to told me that duals weren't possible on the Aviator, so I trusted them rather than pursue one source that supposedly offered duals. Maybe if I had found the one guy that had duals, I might have gone with them but I guess at this point I'll never know for sure. I plan on hitting the track this spring to see what kind of change in ET the exhaust gives me. I have a solid multiple pass 15.7 1/4 mile totally stock, so I'll be interested to see if my SOTP feeling is right or not concerning a power increase.
I have a question for ya...

Isn't the Aviator pretty much the same thing as an Explorer, and Mountaineer? So if you see an 02-05 Explorer and Mountaineer have duels like I have seen before, why wouldn't an Aviator be able to have Duels since it's the same?? Just wondering??

Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 PM
katshot
New User
Two totally different trucks underneath. The Aviator has IRS for starters.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:53 PM
MountaineerAWD
Junior User
Originally Posted by katshot
Two totally different trucks underneath. The Aviator has IRS for starters.
same here with Explorers and Mountaineers.. IRS (Independent rear suspension) is on all 2002-2006 Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviators... everything is identicle on the body and frame and all suspensions.

You should do some research and even see for yourself the only thing that changes between the 02-05 Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviators is a minor face life on the body only giving different looks and more options inside the cab.

heres a Link to even show you Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviators all have IRS. You do realize the only thing thats different about Aviators is the outside looks and more of a face life inside the cab and more options inside the cab. everything else, engine, suspension, ride, ect.. is all the same exact thing as an explorer and Mountaineer.

heres the link...Test Drive Notes: 2002 Ford Explorer

Last edited by MountaineerAWD; 03-04-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Blue Diamond
Freshman User
Same trucks? Lets see, Aviator has different engine & transmission (32 valve double overhead cam 4.6 v8 adopted from the Cobra, over 300 horspower and the same for torque), larger exhaust, five speed auto trans, forged alloy front control arms instead of stamped steel, different front crossmember, fast ratio speed sensitve power steering rack, bigger brake rotors all the way around, higher rate springs and hi pressure gas shocks (rides much firmer but better contolled than Explorer/Mountaineer), Michilen Pilot sport tires, electronic traction contol and standard electronic stability control (before it was offered on Exp/Mtn), standard side curtain air bags, different roof panel (no cutout for third brake lamp), different rear hatch, composite front fenders, and the obvious completely different interior. In all, about 70% of the Aviator's parts are unique to the Aviator and not shared with the other two platforms. Just drive each vehicle and you will understand.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:00 AM
katshot
New User
Yeah, turns out you're right about the IRS. I just saw an Explorer yesterday and it had IRS. I think there's still substantial differences between the Aviator and the others though. Maybe not anything that would effect the installation of a dual exhaust though.

Originally Posted by MountaineerAWD
same here with Explorers and Mountaineers.. IRS (Independent rear suspension) is on all 2002-2006 Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviators... everything is identicle on the body and frame and all suspensions.

You should do some research and even see for yourself the only thing that changes between the 02-05 Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviators is a minor face life on the body only giving different looks and more options inside the cab.

heres a Link to even show you Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviators all have IRS. You do realize the only thing thats different about Aviators is the outside looks and more of a face life inside the cab and more options inside the cab. everything else, engine, suspension, ride, ect.. is all the same exact thing as an explorer and Mountaineer.

heres the link...Test Drive Notes: 2002 Ford Explorer

Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little behind on my 4.6 tech, but if the Aviator is platformed off the 32v DOHC 4.6, why not look into what is available for the Cobras? Without knowing, I am guessing the front accessory bracket is different, so just adding a supercharger might be more difficult, but most internals should be the same or at least able to take the same aftermarket as the Cobra.

Might want to at least get a SCT Xcal2 tuner for it. At least then you could tune easily to whatever other mods you make.

Quick Reply: Performance mods for Lincoln Aviator