General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Do U Swear To Tell The Truth And...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
z 97ford1
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Do U Swear To Tell The Truth And...

nothing but the truth so help u god??????
I admit I'm not very fast to pick up on things but I have had this observation before.
If one is a liar, was, is and always, then what does swearing (with ones right hand up) do for telling the truth?
Is this kinda like standing on one foot and rubbing my stomach and this will force me to tell the truth???
Look, if one is going to lie, one is going to lie.....regardless of what we do.
I would think twisting a persons arm might be more effective.

Last edited by z 97ford1; 02-26-2006 at 10:21 PM. Reason: too many t's
Old 02-26-2006, 10:25 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you say PERJURY?

Old 02-26-2006, 10:26 PM
taisa899
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my question is that since I don't believe in god anyways what good is it for me to put my hand on the bible and swear that i'm gonna tellt he truth. Aren't i lying just by putting my hand on the bible and swearing?

Jim

Old 02-26-2006, 10:34 PM
woogs
Elder User
well you're swearing before the court, so then if they catch you lying they can punish you.
-matt

Old 02-26-2006, 11:52 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Originally Posted by woogs
well you're swearing before the court, so then if they catch you lying they can punish you.
-matt
I swore before the court once. All that got me was a contempt charge

Old 02-26-2006, 11:57 PM
michaelbarry
Senior User
my question is that since I don't believe in god anyways what good is it for me to put my hand on the bible and swear that i'm gonna tellt he truth. Aren't i lying just by putting my hand on the bible and swearing?

Jim

Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Aerotrash
Freshman User
If you'll recall back in the day America was religious, over 98% of the population were at the very least godfearing. It may not mean much now, but legally you're taking an oath to tell the truth when in court.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by z 97ford1
nothing but the truth so help u god??????
Just when will the civil liberties POS's start trying to ban that from the courts, seems like anything that references god, they have a bug up there but to try and abolish it. It is still around 88% of the population that believe in god in someway, shape or form, where is the problem here?
It all comes down to a persons morals, which have to wonder about when you watch the news. Putting you hand on the bible may not make you tell the truth, but hopefully the fear of what the judge will do to you if you commit perjury will.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:32 AM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crash687
Just when will the civil liberties POS's start trying to ban that from the courts, seems like anything that references god, they have a bug up there but to try and abolish it.
Up north it's gone from courts already. I recall it goes something like this now: "Do you swear, or affirm, to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" No more mention of "god" or a bible, but you do raise you right hand. It's been that way for years.

I'm curious, do you have a problem with civil liberties in general? Or just people who defend them? Do you know what your civil liberties are?

Originally Posted by Crash687
It is still around 88% of the population that believe in god in someway, shape or form, where is the problem here?
Where is the problem? Goodness, that worries me. The problem is not subtle my friend, it's glaringly obvious.

It's got nothing to do with what gods the people are worshiping. The problem is the courts are government entities. And, if you recall your constitutional law, you'll know that our government is not allowed endorse religion(s). That's the problem.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Picti_Warrior
New User
The last time I had to go to court, all we did to swear in was raise our hand and say "I do." There wasn't any bible and the clerk said "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" He said it to the whole courtroom at the same time and we all raised our hands and swore at the same time. He didn't anything about God either.

Then when the judge came in and called each person up to testify he reminded each of us that we were under oath.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Aerotrash
Freshman User
It's got nothing to do with what gods the people are worshiping. The problem is the courts are government entities. And, if you recall your constitutional law, you'll know that our government is not allowed endorse religion(s). That's the problem.
Actually that's the amendments, which are seperate documents from the constitution (you'll also note the declaration of independance, the document that made us a country, mentions God). Also, the amendments were not intended to make "God" a dirty word.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:30 AM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aerotrash
Actually that's the amendments, which are seperate documents from the constitution (you'll also note the declaration of independance, the document that made us a country, mentions God). Also, the amendments were not intended to make "God" a dirty word.
At the risk of driving this further off topic...
Who suggested amendments were intended to make "God" a dirty word?

Old 02-27-2006, 06:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,262 Likes on 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
I swore before the court once. All that got me was a contempt charge
i thought you got the contempt charge because you swore AT the court, not before it.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 AM
BikerWithTruck
Senior User
Being a biker, golfer, former sailor, former construction worker, and a parent, I consider myself well qualified to swear to or at anyone, though frequently I refrain. I choose not to swear to anybodies god regarding anything. I gladly promise to tell the truth and keep that promise. I have principles. I also have rights. If that's not good enough for someone, then they have a problem.

I understand that more and more courts now offer alternative oaths.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:30 AM
ag-ford-4x4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, im pretty sure it doesnt really matter. Really, all you are doing is swearing to the court, and the judge, and God (which doesnt really matter in this case) that you are going to tell the truth. You could swear to ***** wonka on a chocalate bar for all the court cares.....if you lie, youre gonna be hosed. God really has nothing to do with it right now. If you go to prison and get shanked, then the last part of your oath will be more important.

Quick Reply: Do U Swear To Tell The Truth And...