Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Registration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Flareside94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Registration?

What are the rules for registration? I didn't realize my tags were out of date (red jan 05), and just got pulled over a few minutes ago on my way home from work. The officer was really nice, I couldn't find my registration papers AND my insurance was may-nov not the current card I needed to show which he let me go on - I assure you guys I have insurance . Anyways, my birthda is Jan 31's, I thought I had a month anyways to get new plates?

What are the rules? I'd rather not pay 70 bucks in a ticket if I don't have to. I'm kinda upset cause I've always got a notice in the mail to remind me that I needed to reregister.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:08 AM
yamaweezle
Senior User
i always though that you had 30 days after your birthday...unless they've changed it...

Old 02-24-2006, 06:16 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He gave a ticket, not warning? You are supposeed to have 30 days grace, but unless you specify it, they no longer go by birthday, but rather when you are in registering. You have to choose to have the renewal come on your birth month.

You have Jan 05? Not sure, but that should show that they were due last year, I think (without checking) that the tag is supposed to show when the registration expires, not when it was done. I'm not saying you didn't register it last year, there are things that can happen, the tag can fall off, someone stole it (yes, that happens too) something along that line. If you can produce current paperwork, you should be able to get the ticket dropped.

It is for reasons such as that that makes me get in there on the month it expires or just before to keep that from happening. I get out of state enough, they don't always allow for the grace period. Got pulled over in Illinois back when I was going to tech school for going 1 mph over the speed limit and my tags were expired, the month following my registration month. I was fine in Iowa, but the cop wanted to ticket me, but luckily, chose not to.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:03 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BTW, I looked at the tags, and red is last year's color, the ones on my sister's F350 are red, expired in Sep.... They should be orange.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 PM
IowaTower
Senior User
When I lived in Chicago, the clerk who handed me my stickers told me to make sure I crosshatched them with a razor-blade after putting them on -- keeps 'em from being stolen.