6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What FMC says about block heaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:54 PM
gcon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 05 did not order a block heater. The heater is there but the cord is not. As stated by others above, the 6.0 comes with the heater but no cord unless you order it with a block heater, or live in one of the few states that mandate them. eryoung I also live in Mass.. In my opinion a lot of salesman don't know much about what they are selling and will tell you anything to placate you.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:47 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Talking Egg on My Face

OK here goes serving up a big slice of humble pie.. Anybody know how to get crow unstuck from between your teeth..

DLpinkc you were right.. I hereby declare I have a Block heater, but no cord..YEAH!!

"Thank you sir May I have another".

What I have learned that may help others..

1. Never listen to what a Ford Mechanic says about block heaters.. They obviously don't know what to look for.. I had 2 and both said I didn't have it.

2. Never send a boy to do a mans job. My 21 year old son couldn't see it, but he looked from underneath..

3. Don't look for it lying on your back. You won't see it.

4. Don't think it is in place of a freeze plug. It isn't.. It is seperate and to the left of the rear freeze plug.

5. Look from inside the wheel well just above the starter. Use a droplight..
I found it by snaping a picture in there and then looked at the picture.

6. ALWAYS listen to what they say on FTE. They obviously know more than Ford..

7. Next grease the pie plate before baking at 350 deg. for delicious humble pie.

Finally let me reiterate ALL 06 Diesels come with a block heater, but some do not have a cord.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2006, 10:03 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donjamer

5. Look from inside the wheel well just above the starter. Use a droplight..
I found it by snaping a picture in there and then looked at the picture.

Thanks
I was wondering why there was so much discussion about getting all muddy and oily on the ground. I think I mentioned this earlier (post # 28). It may have gotten lost in all of the many many posts on this thread.

Last edited by olfordsnstone; 02-24-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice to hear you found your block heater Donjamer. Chances are the mechanics that looked for your block heater were gas engine mechanics and not diesel mechanics. The gaser's block heater is on the driver's side vice the diesel's being on the passenger side. If they didn't know to look on the other side of the block, then I could see where they would have concluded it didn't have one. Agree with you that there is a lot of knowledge on FTE. It's nice that some share their experience in the school of hard knocks with the rest of us in the hope of sparing others the pain.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Customz
Postmaster
It's official, most fte users know more about their trucks than the service writers do...I may not know how to pull the heads, but I can direct a tech to a tsb with the best of em.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:22 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
I was wondering why there was so much discussion about getting all muddy and oily on the ground. I think I mentioned this earlier (post # 28). It may have gotten lost in all of the many many posts on this thread.
I read that post and it helped, but they do get lost in the threads sometime.
I think It helps to list items and use bold...

Thanks for the help

Old 02-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Customz
It's official, most fte users know more about their trucks than the service writers do...I may not know how to pull the heads, but I can direct a tech to a tsb with the best of em.
Very true Customz! There is alot of good info from friendly people on FTE.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:16 AM
LVEILLON
Elder User
Charles Jones....I got lost in all the posts...The place that I get a lot of parts from is http://www.powerstrokeshop.com/

They are the same company that sells the "Upfitter" kits. They have excellent install manuals for items like this.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:38 AM
charles jones
Elder User
Lveillon, Thanks, Thats a good supplier it looks like. I have a International/ Navistar dealer just North of me and I,ll be up that way Monday any way so I,ll take that part# and see if they have it in stock. My first Diesel was a 7.3 in a new 88 F250 and when I started having glow plug problems The local Diesel Ford House wanted to much to check them so I took it to this International dealer and they showed me how to ohm out the glow plugs and they sold the same part for much less than Ford. I worked at the local International tractor dealership in east Texas as a kid after school and weekends and have always like International products. That old 3/4 and 1 ton IH truck was a real work horse. If they still made them Ford would have some competion. IMO Thanks Charles

Old 02-25-2006, 08:38 AM
dlpinkc
Senior User
I never thought this post would get so many replies. But...am happy for donjamer, and I think (hope) for everyone that buys a 6.0 in the future. Seems to me that at least the 06 6.0's come with block heater, but cord is an option. I guess the 07's will start a new discussion...

I guess the FMC customer service folks believe that an optional cord means the block heater itself is an option.

donjamer - I've found that 325 degrees for 40 minutes is about right for my humble pie. I've eaten a lot of it.....
dlp

Old 02-25-2006, 05:20 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Deciphering what I have been reading lately the only thing the customer service folks really understand is which canned response to provide. And that is lacking much of the time.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:13 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well here in Nebraska my bet is every truck has a block heater an a cord with it. If you are getting a new truck an it does not come with a heter or cord. Id tell the dealer put it in an thats the end off it cord included. Id say heck with it. If they want to charge extra for it. The deal would be off on the truck. No deal end off discussion.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:57 PM
buckwheat
New User
150ford:
When I was looking for my 05, I looked at the Lincoln NE dealerships. If I remember right one of them had NO diesels with the heater option. One of them even had the TS tranny without the trailer brake.

There are dealerships in sync with diesel owners, there are others with no clue.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Drags
Freshman User
Talking drags

Bought my 06 stroker about 2 month's ago. Block heater was listed as an option on sticker. I don't recall the price. although my neighbor has an 05 and his did come with heater, just not the cord. he purchased and installed himself. hope this helps. By the way, we are in NJ.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Call international. They all come with the block heater, the cord is the only option and a chicken sh*& one at that...I'm convinced the dealers don't know what they are talking about.

Quick Reply: What FMC says about block heaters