1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Possible lower turbo pedestal leak - how long until it's worse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Joe98684
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently had my turbo out to install the WW. After I got it all back together it was leaking from what looked like the o-rings. I figured I must have messed that up somehow. Had puddles in the valley and running down back of the engine. All the other common places for leaks up on top were ruled out, so I was looking froward to pulling the turbo again this weekend and doing the o-rings again. # days ago I got down in there and cleaned all the oil up figuring I might actually be able to see where the leak was coming from... now.... no more leak! Been running it for 3 days and checking it a few times a fay and nothing. Anyone ever hear of these things 'magically' stopping?

Old 02-24-2006, 10:25 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoCamping
Do you have any hints for getting a better look at the lower pedestal connection? Does a mirror help?
A mechanics mirror might help. But, with my turbo and pedistal out of the truck right now, if it were leaking on the back side, you'd have a hard time seeing it. The up-pipe is very close to the back of the turbo. It's worth a shot though.

Originally Posted by Joe98684
I recently had my turbo out to install the WW. After I got it all back together it was leaking from what looked like the o-rings. I figured I must have messed that up somehow. Had puddles in the valley and running down back of the engine. All the other common places for leaks up on top were ruled out, so I was looking froward to pulling the turbo again this weekend and doing the o-rings again. # days ago I got down in there and cleaned all the oil up figuring I might actually be able to see where the leak was coming from... now.... no more leak! Been running it for 3 days and checking it a few times a fay and nothing. Anyone ever hear of these things 'magically' stopping?
My guess is a couple of things could have happened. One, the o-rings swelled slightly due to oil exposure and heat causing them to seal. Or two, one of the o-rings was just a hair out of place, but the heat & pressure of the oil caused it to pop back into place. Keep your eye on it though.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Joe98684
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
My guess is a couple of things could have happened. One, the o-rings swelled slightly due to oil exposure and heat causing them to seal. Or two, one of the o-rings was just a hair out of place, but the heat & pressure of the oil caused it to pop back into place. Keep your eye on it though.
Thanks for the advise. It was leaking before I did the WW, seemed to be leaking worse after I did it and I just assumed I must have messed it up or it just didn't seal. I thought maybe the o-rings swell after being in contact with oil for awhile, but I got some more o-rings just in case I have to do it again. It never really leaked alot... never even enough to make a difference on the dipstick between oil changes, but a little oil leak can sure go a long ways to looking really bad. I will keep my eye on it.