Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pre-Filter (fuel)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pre-Filter (fuel)

OK, maybe they guys were just having a good time pullin my leg, but the boys over @ the local IH warned me about changing the "gravel" or prefilter. Showed me a fuel system schematic for an engine and sure enough there was a prefilter right next to the main filter that looked just like the one on my 7.3. Said most people don't even know it's there until it needs to be cleaned, and if it's old it just breaks when you try to remove it.

I've looked and looked and damn if i can find it. Should I go back and buy one or just to tell them how they had my going?

Old 02-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Me
OK, maybe they guys were just having a good time pullin my leg, but the boys over @ the local IH warned me about changing the "gravel" or prefilter. Showed me a fuel system schematic for an engine and sure enough there was a prefilter right next to the main filter that looked just like the one on my 7.3. Said most people don't even know it's there until it needs to be cleaned, and if it's old it just breaks when you try to remove it.

I've looked and looked and damn if i can find it. Should I go back and buy one or just to tell them how they had my going?
I will bring my truck in later on this afternoon and follow the fuel line from the pump to the filter housing and report back.
Most likely they are talking about an International only part - something that our Fords will not have.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I think they had you going. I've seen some IH schematics for the 444, and I believe they do have a prefilter on it. However, I've been completely through the fuel system on the PSD, from tank pickup, to the engine, and back to tank return. I can tell you there on only the filter in the filter bowl, as it came from Ford. If the IH boys still try to tell you that you have one, let them show you where it is.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
JT is right, I looked my truck over this afternoon and nothing but pipe between the fuel pump and the filter housing.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Thanks guys.

The schematic they showed me had it on the passenger side of the filter on top of the engine, down near the bottom and sideways. 1" accross and about 2" long, black plastic. At the time I thought it was a dumb place to put it, before the pump would be much better, and because of the "Kwik Fuel Pump Mod" I knew it was on the pump.