Sponsored by: Moser

Gas tank switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 02:46 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas tank switch?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-May-01 AT 03:50 AM (EST)[/font][p]I am restoring two old Fords, 67 and 68 SWB F100s. I have plans to remove the gas tank from behind the seat and place one under the truck somewhere. Has anyone else done this? Can anyone recommend a good location and a good gas tank that will match up well? Any advice would be a appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-11-2001, 03:16 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gas tank switch?

The easy way is to get the one that sits in the rear between the frame rails. Usually this is where the spare goes and I've seen them from 20gal to 38gal in both plastic and metal from JC Whitney. the downside is that you might have to move the spare somewhere else and I hate having a spare taking up bed space. the other option is the side saddle, but you have to consider the exhaust pipes.

Both JC Whitney and LMC truck have tanks and I'm sure they'll have some choices for yours.

Old 05-11-2001, 06:14 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Gas tank switch?

JD, That is a thread subject that comes up around here every so often. You should be able to find them in the archives with a search. One option is the Mustang tanks 65-70 and up to 22 gal.

John
jowilker
[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker|Club FTE since 01 01] My FTE Page

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NC Truck Owners] NC Ford Truck owners group

66F100s Rule
In the cool still quite of night you can hear chevies rusting away.

Old 05-11-2001, 07:36 AM
raycmira
Freshman User
Gas tank switch?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-May-01 AT 08:40 AM (EST)[/font][p]Check out http://www.aerotanks.com. I'm eyeing the 45 gal.

Old 05-11-2001, 01:46 PM
ford4604x4
Senior User
Gas tank switch?

Old 05-11-2001, 07:38 PM
mattn
Freshman User
Gas tank switch?

I have been wanting to do the same thing with my truck. I hate having 20 gal. of gas less than six inches away from my back.
The only thing I would be concerned about is cutting a hole in the side of the bed for the filler. not to mention having to weld up the old one.
MattN

Old 05-11-2001, 09:05 PM
jdbanks
Elder User
Gas tank switch?

Yeah, I hate the idea of cutting up the truck myself, but I've come up with a few good idea's I think. If I put it at the rear of the bed where the spare goes I'm thinking of putting the spout behind the license plate, like they use to do in some old cars. Wouldn't be cutting into the bed or anything, just the bumper or roll pan I might put on. Then there is always running a spout up between the cab and bed or out under a wheel well. I think I'm going to go with the first I mentioned, but we'll see. I don't like having that gas behind me and I also want to put some speakers back there in that space. Going to make a big wood box taking up the same place as the gas tank, with individual sections for the speakers I want to put it. There isn't alot of room anywhere else to put speakers. Anyway, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions everyone. And sorry I missed the other thread, I'm new to the message board here. Thanks.