Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering Issue After Collision

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Issue After Collision

My '99 250 PSD was broadsided rather hard a couple of months ago. $3500.00 damage to the body even though the point of impact was primarily the right front wheel. Bent the drag link like a banana. Everything is repaired, but it still doesn't drive like it did. It does not pull, steering is centered, but it sort of wanders. Not badly, but to the point that I have to pay attention all of the time to keep it between the paint. Which makes it hard to drink coffee, eat donuts and talk on the phone all at the same time as I used to be able to do. Any ideas¿

Old 02-14-2006, 05:44 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Talking Loose Steering

I'd look @ the steering box 1st to see if it has a lot of play in it. After that - ball joints on the side that was hit.

DG

Old 02-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
I tightened the steering box (very ltttle) myself after I replaced the drag link myself and had it aligned by a qualified shop. The alignment shop did tell me that ball joints were not a bad idea for both sides. So I guess that may be the problem. I have been paying for this out of my own pocket so I was hoping to dodge the ball joint bullet, but you are probably correct. I was hoping for maybe the tire on that wheel being the culprit. Oh well!

Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Smile Loose Steering

Forgot about the Tires!

Quick cheap idea would be to swap the front tire for the back on the side that was hit. If you see a difference the rim may have gotten bent. When they did the alignment did they check the tires 1st?

DG

Last edited by dagren99; 02-14-2006 at 05:54 PM. Reason: SP
Old 02-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
First, thank you for the help. No they did not. They were working real hard at selling me ball joints ($750.00) which I could not afford during the winter time. I am going to try the tire swap. The ball joints all seem equally sloppy. Not real bad, but worrisome none the less. My thinking at the time was that if they were all the same it was unlikely caused by the collision.