General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Vp Cheney

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:02 AM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vp Cheney

Ok Ive been shooting and hunting my whole life....and am a saftey freak when it comes to guns. Some of yall may think this is cruel but i couldnt help to laugh when i heard about the VP shooting his friend while hunting. Some people are plain stupid (the friend) to walk in front of the shooter especially when bird hunting. Just wanted to see what yall think about it cuz i cant stop laffin when i see it on the news.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 AM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I allways look when I pull the trigger.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:15 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sad situation.

IMNSHO, both were at fault.
I used to teach/coach Marksmanship, Firearms Handling & Training and Hunter Safety, and, I have been a hunter for many, many years.

First, there should have been communication between (among) all of the hunters. Quail hunting, traditionally, has been a 'social hunting' event.
Talk, open discussion, and having a good time. When this happens, everyone knows where everyone else is.

Mr. Whittington should have been cognizant of where he was and Mr. Cheney should have been cognizant of where his shot charge is/was going.
Ultimately, Mr. Cheney should have had both eyes open and know what his 'safety zone' is, and where/what is backstop is/was. Mr. Whittington should have had his eyes on the other hunters and expect the unexpected.

I have heard that Mr. Whittington was NOT an experienced hunter. (This I have no proof of, but, it has been reported on one newscast.) IF this is so, he should have either NOT been in the field, or, should have been coached on what he should/should not do, in the field.

It was an unfortunate accident. On the upside, Mr. Whittington is going to make it, from what I hear.

That is my 2¢ worth.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't accidents always summed up the same way?
"It could have been avoided..." Glad he'll recover.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
The way I understand it, he didnt walk in front of the VP he walked up behind him and Mr. Cheney shot behind himself, which I also understand to be a big no no.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
96psdkris
Senior User
Cheney

I heard on the radio this morning that neither one had a hunting license anyways. That may show some inexperience or carelessness.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

"Cheney's got a gun..."

(think Aerosmith. You know it's coming, It's just a matter of time...)

Old 02-14-2006, 10:50 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Well, Mr. Whittington IS a lawyer. Maybe the Vice-President just couldn't help himself...

Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Snake1979
Elder User
The lawyer walked up behind him, Cheney followed a bird, and whirrled around, and shot.

Cheney should have looked before he shot, and The lawyer should have announced himself.

The VP had a in state hunting license, and since he hasn't lived there in a while, he was breaking the law. Hes facing some big fines. Maybe he'll get a pardon.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:01 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cheney had a valid license, he didn't, however, have a $7 stamp for quail, and he received a written warning from the game warden and has already sent in his $7. He's not facing big fines... let's not blow this out of proportion.

Game warden Bill McClendon said the stamp only became a requirement last September and the vice president is far from the only person to get off with just a warning.
"No, this is not in any way, shape, or form special treatment. This is just something that normally calls for a warning citation to be issued," said TXPW Game Warden Bill McClendon.
Source: KRIS TV, Corpus Christi, TX

Unfortunate accidents happen even with experienced hunters. I can't find much humor in it.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:04 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
again a couple of facts are wrong(snake1979) but i won't bother correcting 'em. i will say i hope the next time he has a shot gun in his hand, he's the the Whitehouse press room with a full house of reporters!!

Last edited by lenny1carl; 02-14-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Snake1979
Elder User
I know the local news said he was facing fines for not having a out of state license.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:11 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by webmaster
[snip]

Unfortunate accidents happen even with experienced hunters. I can't find much humor in it.
Glad he's going to be ok. But I'm sick enough I can find humor in it. Think about the next time Jay Leno roasts Cheney:

Ring Ring,
"hello?"
"Hi Jay, this is Dick Cheney, say I caught your monologue last night. That was funny."
"Thankyou Mr Vice President, I appreciate that."
"Hey Jay, Do you want to go hunting?......"

Old 02-14-2006, 11:11 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Haven't hunted in a while, but when I did announcing yourself might have actually got you shot in some circumstances.

But seriously, making sure people with guns know wherer you are is kind of like looking both ways before stepping into a crosswalk - you shoudln't have to do either to avoid getting hit/shot, but it's a pretty good idea just the same.

I understand Cheney had a valid license, but not the $7 stamp required to hunt "upland lawyers"...

Old 02-14-2006, 11:12 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The report here is he has a current hunting license for the State of Texas. The license does not have an upland bird endorsement.

This is not typically an arrestable crime. A ticket is written much like for speeding. The BIG fine will likely be no more than a couple of hundred dollars.

Yes, it was certainly an avoidable accident. Yes, both hunters are responsible. However, the ultimate responsibility of safety always befalls the shooter...IMO.

When leading a bird it is not unusual to follow it around. Since none of us know the circumstance of the hunt or the flight of the bird it would be difficult for us to know how it happen. To speculate would be a shot in the dark...so to speak.

When dove / quail hunting I have had some one walk into my shot path on more than one occasion...it happens. Thank goodness on each occasion I saw the intrusion an pulled up.

I know how bad & mad I felt and not even taking the shot. I can only imagine the guilt and remorse and avid, accomplished hunter like Dick Cheney must feel. To compound the emotion.... Mr. Whittington is said to be a very close friend.

I wish them both well.

Quick Reply: Vp Cheney