Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 F150 cranking and carb & possibly ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 02:49 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 F150 cranking and carb & possibly ignition problems

Hey guys,
So I finally finish patching up the body on my truck and wouldn't ya know it, no crank, and no start either.

Some info on the probs at hand:
87 F150 351W HO 4bbl dual tank

The main problem is if I jump it or throw it on the charger, it has the juice but the engine cranks a half of a revolution then runs outta juice.When it does this,
the solenoid to starter cable is hot and flimsy and the batt. to solenoid is warm-ish. The entire starting system has been replaced by me save for the alternator and starter. All cables replaced, solenoid so on so forth. New battery.

When it actually has juice, it will crank, sputter, pop, and crank then die.

I have gas in the rear tank, then again my friend left both caps off the filler tubes with the bed off (the caps were destroyed anyways, so i bought new and installed) so I think some water got in there and may have frozen in the lines since it was outside. Now it is inside so it should melt, then I'll probably throw some dry gas in it.

The other thing is, if I pour some gas down the carb it might make a few sputters. but nothing beyond. I think I may have flooded it but not sure.
I did get it started once but it acted like it had no throttle at all and you constantly had to fiddle with the pedal to keep it running.

Also anyone got a fix for the pulloff rod falling out of the choke butterfly?
And last but not least, where the heck is the fuel filter?

Any more info needed I will divulge just ask. I want to drive the beast to school the end of this week-ish... She's been in the de-rotholing stage for the past 6 months...

Thanks guys,
Pat

Old 02-12-2006, 05:52 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First thing I would do is drain the gas tanks and lines and put fresh gas in it...

The starter may be bad. Pull it and have it checked. That could be why the cables are getting hot.

If any of the cable are thin and are not stock. Replace 'em.

It also sounds like the battery may have a dead cell or 2. Have that checked also.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:58 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
Ok, so last sunday night...my friend goes out to start the truck....BOOM!!! shock horror fire...we got it put out real quick only damage was starter which was already crap. there was water in the housing on the top of the starter. new starter and solenoid plus 60 bucks later, it cranks fine.

It still won't start.
So we had a look down the barrels, secondaries had a couple of leaves in them and the primaries were flooded with gas!!!
This could be because a nameless person (in a last ditch attempt to start it instead of pushing it into the garage at midnight on the eve of a snowstorm)
blew a bit of compressed air into the rear tank....ya...kinda stupid on my part...hell I figured it would work..it worked for a diesel tractor and my snowmobile...What the truck does by the way is it'll crank and act like it wants to start like a sputter or 2 every 2 seconds.

any tips tricks for unflooding it let me know

Old 02-18-2006, 03:40 PM
bear1956
Junior User
fuel filter is on the carb where the fuel line comes in,if its been setting awhile the accelerator pump in the carb may be bad( you have to pull the carb to change this),if you have ignition problems start with thr pickup coil in the dist(under the rotor,there are two wires that get brittle that come out the side of the dist.)I speak from experince I used to have a truck just like it.good luck