1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where and how did you mount Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:49 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used 1/8th inch ABS plastic from a local plastics supplier. Wprked out great. Covered like Roddoors panels and looks great. Pics in my gallery.

Tim

Old 02-14-2006, 03:54 PM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
Cool, I talked to my upholstry guy today and he told be I could fit them behind the seat in the corners, may look at doing that to

Old 02-14-2006, 04:12 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
What's really great about the abs is that you can glue it with abs pipe cement from the hardware store and also it can be shaped by warming it up until it gets pliable. The spray glue for the covering fabric also sticks to it very well. It cuts extremely easily as well, even curved lines, just carefully score it (you don't have to go very deep) along the cut line with a sharp utility or Xacto knife and bend it backwards until it snaps along the line.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:15 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you thought about replacing the access panels in the doors with some type of aluminum or sheet metal? You could cut those up and save your originals for posterity. Just a thought from the darkside.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put my speakers in my kick panels. Since I used Roddoors, stability was not a problem. Used jute backed foil in cab and kick panels. They work great for me. I do not need concert hall sound to please my ear. I can enjoy my music at 70, windows up or down. Heck there is as much wind noise wichever they are. Joe

Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 PM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
Where can you get a sheet od ABS, Does it cost much?

Kyle

Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Look in your yellow pages under plastic, rod and sheet, suppliers Most plastic supply houses have it or can get it for you, shouldn't be expensive altho you may have to buy a full sheet, especially if it needs to be ordered. 3/32" is a good all around thickness. Rod doors also sells it in smaller sized pieces for repairing or customizing their panels. If you have a local stocking supplier ask if they sell cut offs, pieces they consider waste, but that are often pretty good size for smaller panels like kick panels. Often sold by the pound rather than by the sq ft.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:51 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Ax is right on about where to buy the ABS. If my memory is correct, seems like I paid $32 for a 4x8 foot sheet. I also made by door panels out of it. See the pics in my gallery.

I found that the thicker stuff is a little more difficult to work with. Scoreing and breaking works but the score line has to be fairly deep. A coarse blade hacksaw also works and was my preferred method. For cleaning up edges--a wood rasp worked great.

Tim

Old 02-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
how do you guys attach the panels? Velcro, screws or some sort of clips? Whats more likely to warp, the wood or abs?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rod Doors sells some Mongo size velcro pieces. They work very well for holding panels in place. And, as far as warping, I would think that the wood is far more likely to warp than the plastic. Look on the Rod Doors website for ideas. They show how you can glue foam cut into designs to the abs. Then you can apply the material over that for a custom look. Good luck, Jag

Old 02-16-2006, 11:10 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
ABS won't warp unless it gets extremely hot and has strain on it such as fabric pulled very tight over one side of it. If it is securely attached it won't go anywhere. I personally prefer attaching with the push in plastic rivets where fasteners would be visable, and/or trim screws where they won't be noticed. Look at new car's plastic panels for fastening techniques. I've never had good luck with velcro, maybe other's have. I find it bulky if it's heavy enough to work and with getting it to stick to the surfaces better than to itself.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AX is right. Velcro usually does not do a great job. But the mondo size that Rod Doors sells is exceptional. Rod Doors door panels are not just flat pieces of ABS. The edges are curled so that the panel has about 1/8" space behind it. The two pieces of velcro, when joined together, are about the same thickness as the space. So, when you attach the velcro pieces by slapping the panel into place, it holds the panel edges flush to the door for a very finished look. Somebody making their own could glue 1/4" wide strips all around the perimeter to creat the same hollow area behind the panel so that the velcro can be used. Good luck, Jag

Old 02-16-2006, 11:47 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
The velcro used by Roddoors is trade named DuoLoc and it is pretty tough stuff. it is not at all like the standard velcro. Call it velcro on steroids.

I used it on my homemade door panels and it looks great. Nice tight fit.

Tim

Old 02-16-2006, 12:16 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
How is it attached to the panel and the metal? All the glues, double stick tape and self stick I've tried pulled off one or the other when I tried to remove the panel again. I'd love to find some that worked since the shock adjustment on the rear of the Miata is behind the ABS trunk panels so I'd like to get some that would allow me quick access when I need to make an adjustment at a race.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:57 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Ax
I actually cleaned the doors where the hook side of the Duolock sticks with alchol and steel wool befor applying the panels. I can't tell you how it would work with several cycles of removal and replacement as that was not my application. I can however tell you the stuff has adherred to the doors extremely well and is a nice tight fit. It might just work for the Miata.

Tim

Quick Reply: Where and how did you mount Speakers?