Turbo question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Chevy_impala57
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo question?

I was thinking Of taking 2 turbos off audi(spelling) 5cylinder. But the motors are 2.8 and i would be using it for 5.0 aplication. Would they not spoll up as quick? Or should i get some off a 2.2 cyrlser? Would they over rev and not produce good resualts? What would be better little bit bigger or smaller? I want to get as close to 2.5 because 5.0 / 2=2.5 . Is this thinking corrected to get the best resualts out of a home made setup.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:28 PM
PyroBob
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chevy_impala57
I was thinking Of taking 2 turbos off audi(spelling) 5cylinder. But the motors are 2.8 and i would be using it for 5.0 aplication. Would they not spoll up as quick? Or should i get some off a 2.2 cyrlser? Would they over rev and not produce good resualts? What would be better little bit bigger or smaller? I want to get as close to 2.5 because 5.0 / 2=2.5 . Is this thinking corrected to get the best resualts out of a home made setup.
We used one of these turbos for our SAE snowmachine design team (or I should say we intended too). I want to say it was a T2? Not big anyway.

The best thing to do is find out what size they are (or model #), and someone can tell you if it will flow enough air. The change in displacement theory to size a turbo will work, technically, but we can help you determine the proper size much more accurately. Another thing to do is let us know how much power you want from your engine...this will tell us how much air you need.

Using a small turbo like that on a 5.0 would cause it to spool very rapidly, but not provide as much boost due to a smaller A/R. Having two of them would compensate for the lack of flow of a small turbo, but won't help to increase the boost (I think you are aware of that already from what you typed, but just in case).

Old 02-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Chevy_impala57
Junior User
I want what every body wants best bang for the buck.. But iwas thinking if i could get both turbos pumping 6 psi into the engine i would be pretty happy.

I guess what i'am really asking is what would be better
2 turbos off a crysler 2.2
or
2 tubos off a audi 2.8

Last edited by Chevy_impala57; 02-05-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:09 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Given the engine size, the turbos would probably be similar in size.
I think 2 turbos off 2 Audi 2.8l's would perform well.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:56 PM
MCA
Junior User
You could also go with a single set up it would be even cheaper for installation, a t04e trim 50 would be more than enough for 6 psi

Old 02-05-2006, 11:03 PM
05_F26_6spd
New User
i think those turbos arent enough to power ur 5. i would use something like the t3/t4 hybird turbo like MCA said "t04e trim 50"

Old 02-06-2006, 12:34 PM
uuranium
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there have been quite a few junk yard turbo kits done up with garret t-3's from the old turbo 2.3l fords. this seems to work good and the turbos have built in wastegates so you wouldn't have to plumb those into the headers. what kind of computer are you planning on running if you do this setup?

Old 02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Chevy_impala57
Junior User
I have been watching for 2.3L turbos but there always gone when i find the right kind of car. I have already perfomred a mass air swap so that shouldnt be a problem.
The waste gates arn't they built into all turbos.( it a diphram with rod goign to a little valve that buy passes exhuasted to prevent the turbo form making to much boost right?

What is a T04e trim 50 turbo and where would i find or buy this???

I was looking in previous forms and found (by the username of fredic i think but)
He siad that u take the
(wanted red line * The engine size)(donno car red line*engine size)
So
(4500*5.0)/(7000*2.2)
=22500 /15400
=1.4610389
Which by those calculations a 1.5 turbo would be sinificant so 2 off a 2.2L should be plenty ??? Dose any body on here know of any site, or people with really good info or have done this?

Last edited by Chevy_impala57; 02-06-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:35 PM
uuranium
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the best turbo book that i have come across is maximum boost by corkey bell (who happens to be a Texas A&M Grad Whoop!). as for getting the turbos, why don't you look around on ebay. most likely if you buy one from a junkyard or used you will need to go through it so why not just go ahead and get some that are new. as for the waste gates, you will just need to look at the turbo taht you are getting, some have them in the turbine housing and others have to be built into the exhaust headers.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
PyroBob
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chevy_impala57
I have been watching for 2.3L turbos but there always gone when i find the right kind of car. I have already perfomred a mass air swap so that shouldnt be a problem.
The waste gates arn't they built into all turbos.( it a diphram with rod goign to a little valve that buy passes exhuasted to prevent the turbo form making to much boost right?

What is a T04e trim 50 turbo and where would i find or buy this???

I was looking in previous forms and found (by the username of fredic i think but)
He siad that u take the
(wanted red line * The engine size)(donno car red line*engine size)
So
(4500*5.0)/(7000*2.2)
=22500 /15400
=1.4610389
Which by those calculations a 1.5 turbo would be sinificant so 2 off a 2.2L should be plenty ??? Dose any body on here know of any site, or people with really good info or have done this?
His nick is Frederic...and the man knows his stuff, no doubt about it.

What that calculation tells you is you would need 1.5 of those turbos to power your ride. So yes, two would be a complete success .

^^^ Is right in that you may need to go through a junkyard turbo, but if you consider yourself competent (since your asking about a DIY, I assume you are), then rebuilding a turbo is not difficult. It does take a little patience, but it's not too hard.

Not all turbos have the wastegate or a pop-off valve built into them, so that is something to watch for too. They are required to limit the amount of boost, as you said.

The T3/T04e is made by Garrett (www.turbobygarrett.com)...they have since changed thier model numbers, so I'm not sure what it's new equivalent is, but a search via google should produce that info.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Chevy_impala57
Junior User
Wow thanks for the information and the site thats exscatly what i have been looking for i guess i should of used my brian and searched garrett in google. LOL

Thanks tho
Mike