Sponsored by: Moser

'79F150 sound system continued . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 08:12 PM
jjy120
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info guys. what type of "boxes" are out there? what are the best for the money, basically something good i can get at walmart. i just have a am/fm radio with two speakers in the doors, and i'd like to have something behind with a little punch, but i'm not planning on having an amp yet, but maybe in the future. does the box need to be secured to the back or bottom of the cab, or does it just sit in there? won't it vibrate or knock around? also, someone mentioned storage pouches on the seats? they sound handy, where can i get them? i'm new to the old ford trucks, so if any one can give me some hints or things that work well, or look good, or are very useful/functional please let me know!
jesse

Old 07-10-2001, 08:45 PM
rwjr
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-Jul-01 AT 09:58 PM (EST)[/font][p]i would reccommend, if you don't do the whole sound system at once, to do it in complete parts rather that itty bitty ones...if you are going to get an amp eventually, them i'd wait and get the amp and subs(and box) together...i tried the over time approach with my car and was disappointed...but with my truck, i got the new head unit and speakers first, then when i could afford it, i got the amp, subs, and box...i forget what kind of amp it had, but i had 12" rockford fosgates in a box that was 1/2" shorter than the seat back release lever...it was shaped like truck boxes, but it was one long box....so it fit PERFECTLY behind the seat....the amp was under the seat, after having to raise it an inch...
oh...that was in a 77 4x4

i'll try to find the specs on that box, if you want....

Old 07-10-2001, 08:45 PM
79supercab4x4
Senior User

Ive put speaker boxes behind the seat of 4 different trucks now without bolting down or securing them and have never had a problem with rattles or vibrations. just put the box back there and back the seat up to it so its a little snug. make sure that the speakers themselves arent rubbing though...generally the angle in the seat is enough that it just hits on the top of the box with the upper half of the bench, and the bottom of the box with the lower part. it doesnt sound like youre looking for anything that great, so one possibility is a pair of truck boxes that come with 8" subs and smaller tweeters. you should be able to find a set for way under $100 at a best buy or radio shack. if you want more than that, a good set of 10" truck boxes will run you about $40 plus however much you wanna spend on the subs. if you dont have an amp, i guarantee that its not gonna sound very good. but it would be better than what you have now. plus you can always add on in the future. good luck

Old 07-11-2001, 01:22 PM
pto dave
Junior User

Old 07-11-2001, 01:30 PM
rompen78
New User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Jul-01 AT 02:31 PM (EST)[/font][p]Heres a great sounding system I did on my 78' F-150. If you are not too concerned about the space behind the seat or you don't have the bench seat all the way back. I'm not sure if Radio Shack is everywhere but they are here in Colo. They have a great set of truck box speakers with a 8" sub and tweeters, they are in two split boxes they are made by Optimus. Fit great behind the seat. Then I put most of my money into a deck w/ a cd changer. Then to power the subs and to take the work off the deck I used a little 50 watt amp and mounted it under the seat. I have bought the larger Optimus box for a Stang that I had and sounded good with a cheaper stero, so if you want to put it together when you have money go with the boes), and amp. Ran me about $150 bucks. The deck I bought for around $300 with the 12 disk cd changer. Sounds good, feels good and you can dang near drowned out anybody else, even with dual exhaust with glass packs! Hope this helps!

Rompen 78'

Old 07-11-2001, 05:04 PM
classic79
Senior User

My box is "custom" made. Just built it myself. If you have access to some particle board or plywood, it ain't to hard if you know a little about wood work. I mean its just a box, not a desk or chair that your building.

Have you thought about using some bazooka tube speakers. I got two sitting out in the garage now I think they are 8" subs, not very big at all. Should'nt take much to power those.

I have storage pouches behind my seat. They are factory, its a 79 f-150 XLT with the deluxe interior. But you can order some from JC whitney though.

chris
79 F-150
79 mustang